Monday, August 11, 2014

How Long, O Lord?

Iraqui
Contemplating the state of things around the world, I could very quickly become depressed. The persecution of Christians and other religious minorities in Iraq has been weighing heavily upon me. I feel bombarded and inundated with not only this grievous situation, but I know too many people struggling with cancer, chemo, Alzheimer's, divisive families and the derision from ex-spouses.
God is giving me a new-to-me perspective toward the persecution of His holy ones...His saints. Thanks to books like A Passport Through Darkeness, Captive in Iran and The Insanity of God, which I am currently reading, my eyes have not only been opened to what my brothers and sisters in Christ are facing daily...but God's Spirit is opening up a whole new prayer-world to me interceding for them when I see the news reports or He brings a person or place to mind.
Over the last several days as the horrendous reports of beheadings, torture and starvation of children and adults alike have been coming out of Iraq, there is one phrase that has been churning over and over again in my mind...
"How long, O Lord? How long?"
I knew this was found in the book of Revelation, but it took me a couple of days to locate it exactly. I wanted to read the context of this verse before I wrote this post. Somehow I knew when I read the passage, God's Spirit would provide peace for my questions. Do I have an answer to the burning question, How long?
Not exactly. But here's what I found:
"When the Lamb (Jesus) broke the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God, and because of the testimony which they had maintained; and they cried out with a loud voice, saying, "How long, O Lord, holy and true, will You refrain from judging and avenging our blood on those who dwell on the earth?" And there was given to each of them a white robe; and they were told that they should rest for a little while longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brethren who were to be killed even as they had been, would be completed also." (Revelation 6:9-11)
I am not a seminary-trained Bible scholar. I will not pretend to understand seals, trumpets, signs vs. poetry or any other debate this could devolve into. But, here's what I know based on this passage:
  • There are a certain number of faithful Jesus followers who will lose their lives for maintaining their faith in Christ.
  • Thus, as long as there are still people dying for the Name of Jesus, that number has not yet been fulfilled.
  • One day, the number will be reached.
  • Those who have already died for their faith, have been given a white robe and told that for now, they can rest from their toil.
  • One day, the spilling of their blood will be judged and avenged.
Why does this bring me some measure of comfort? Because I know that one day all of this will end. I also know that when I see the lifeless body of a decapitated child or a group of dead children who fled into the mountains without food or water...their purified souls have been told to "rest for a little while longer". Their toil, sadness, suffering and despair are over.
Not only does the thought of their rest bring peace to my soul and praise for God to my lips, such sacrifice puts into very harsh perspective my "need" to run to the grocery store just because I don't have the type of salad dressing I want on hand.
Ouch.
I will say it again and again until every fiber of my being gets the Message...
It is time for hard and holy things!

No comments:

Post a Comment