Saturday, August 2, 2014

Afro-Vegan: A Book Review



When Waterbrook Multnomah announced that their parent company would be expanding the Blogging for Books program, I could see the obvious advantage for me, as a blogger to having more options from which to choose. What I didn't know, was that the first book I could choose would be an amazing vegan cookbook!

Not coincidentally, African cuisine has also become something I've developed an interest in discovering more. Bryant Terry's "Farm-Fresh African, Caribbean & Southern Flavors Remixed" was more than I could have hoped for.

I have admittedly only had time to try a few of the recipes, but they have all been delicious. The Coconut-Cashew Soup with Okra, Corn and Tomatoes was good, but the Crunchy Bean and Okra Fritters with Mango-Habanero Hot Sauce was a taste explosion. The recipes are easy to understand and if you're already in the Vegan/Vegetarian world, then you're familiar with foods such as millet, plantains, coconut milk and teff. If you're not and are converting to a meatless life, you soon will be.


Crunchy Bean and Okra Fritters with Mango-Habanero Hot Sauce

What I like most is Terry's passion for getting people reconnected with not only their ancestral roots of food creativity, but also reconnected with the food source. He does provide easy substitutions like canned black-eyed peas for raw if you don't have time to soak and cook them (and take the skins off, which took about 45 minutes!). As an urban farmer, I like that I can find recipes for readily available fruits and vegetables this summer.

Terry also provides suggestions for musical accompaniment for your cooking and dining pleasure. I didn't used the soundtracks, but I think it would be a great option to try sometime.

The variety of tastes, the vegetables and fruits used, and the fact that he doesn't rely heavily upon soy products for proteins, are all bonuses for our family. With recipes like Peanut Stew with Winter Vegetables and Cornmeal Dumplings; Blackened Cauliflower with Plum Tomato Sauce; Curried Corn and Coconut Rice; Sugared Pecans; Sweet Orange Blossom Cream; Fresh Peach, Banana, and Warm Millet Smoothie; Spiced Persimmon Bundt Cake with Orange Glaze; and Tamarind Sweet Tea; I know our family will be using this cookbook for years to come.

If you are a vegan or vegetarian and tired of the same green juices, smoothies and salads, the highest recommendation I can give is for you to purchase a copy of this book for yourself. It's that good.





No comments:

Post a Comment