Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Just Jesus by Walter Wink: A Book Review


Every once in a great while, you come across a book that renews your faith in humanity. Not coincidentally, the subtitle to Walter Wink's memoir Just Jesus is the telling phrase "My Struggle to Become Human"

This beautiful compilation of Wink's work and final recollections were written as his life was drawing to an end. Plagued with dementia, the urgency to write his last book is subtly felt between the lines. A man who had lived the exhilaration of the Civil Rights Movement, encouraged downtrodden Brazilians under military oppression, advocated non-violent resistance and peace around the world, and wrote books and papers that even inspired those who had lost their hope of ever overthrowing South African apartheid, is a man to which we as Christians should listen. While gleaning nuggets of truth, sharing in the remembrances of a life lived for Jesus was a pleasure to experience.

Eugene Peterson is probably the only other Christian author I have read that, like Wink, can plumb the depths of difficult theology while at the same time sharing poetic beauty that resonates with my soul. I wanted to quote so much of this book that I am certain copyright infringement issues would prevail. Instead, I hope to give you a glimpse with the following from the chapter entitled "The New Physics":

"The new physics made it possible for me to pray again. If there is no distance, then our prayers can be as effective halfway around the world as they can be in the hospital room...If prayer doesn't have to go anywhere, then it may simultaneously be present everywhere, enveloping the praying party, the party prayed for, and the total field of reality...Instead of being a superstitious throwback to an irrational past, prayer can be seen as the highest kind of rationality."

One of the greatest compliments I can ever give an author is when one of his books entices me to read more of his works. This book has inspired me to read Wink's other writings. I hope you do as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment