Sunday, May 11, 2014

My First Aloe Vera Harvest


Yesterday, I harvested my very first aloe vera leaf and used the gel to make a delicious detoxifying juice that according to the Rawganic Vegan Lady and her 7 day Juice Detox program, is also great for clearing up skin. I'm not currently experiencing any skin issues that can't be resolved by avoiding dairy, meat and gluten...but I do have an aloe vera plant I purchased at Findlay Market and it is growing by leaps and bounds.

I confess a deep hesitancy at the possibility of approaching my beautiful plant with a pair of scissors and no clue what to do with the leaf once I cut it. But I found through a quick Google search that it's as simple as
  • cutting the leaf
  • using a sharp knife to remove the top layer of green skin
  • use a knife to remove the yellowish film over the top of the gel
  • then using a spoon to scoop out the gel
The website I found didn't say you needed to rinse the aloe vera gel, but I did just in case any of the yellow membrane was left on the backside of it.

I had already juice a green apple, some bok choy and two oranges. I threw that juice into a blender with the aloe vera gel and Voila!...a delicious, detoxifying juice was born.

Simply Google "how to make aloe vera juice" and you'll not only find multiple helpful sites, there are many YouTube tutorials too.


Don't know anything about aloe vera? Here's a great site with the top 12 benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment