Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Understanding Poverty; City Gospel Mission, Cincinnati, Ohio

Photo: Understanding Poverty Seminar

Saturday morning, the kids and I participated in a training event at our church that was given by City Gospel Mission . I hope they don't mind that I'm using their photo, just as I don't mind that they took a photo of us sitting at the table in the foreground. The photo shows though, how diligently I was taking notes and that my children were all engaged in the speaker, the videos and also the small group discussion at our table.

I have to confess what I loved most was that this was not just First Church folks. People from the community, local schools and future volunteers at City Gospel, all came together in an attempt to grapple with some pretty difficult realities and some very discouraging statistics.

City Gospel and so many other great organizations like them, believe that relationships and love are the key to "Breaking the Cycle of Poverty and Despair...One Life at a Time." I know they are on to something, because I know that when I think about the rampant poverty around the world and how we privileged white folks take so much for granted...I have to confess it is pretty easy to despair. What I have already experienced and had confirmed again through this training is that I have more to learn from those who live in poverty, than I could ever teach them. Coming along beside someone not only has the potential to change their poverty, but also my despair at a world that has gone wickedly awry.

In each of their own ways, my children had their eyes opened. Leah was crushed to learn that one of the "measuring sticks" for the state of Ohio's Department of Corrections is literacy. Dr. O'Dell Owens, of Cincinnati State was quoted as saying, "If you don't know how to read by the end of the Fourth Grade, the state is building you a prison cell." That's a harsh reality for a sixth grader to hear. It must have spoken to Noah also, because he looked it up online to verify it later and discovered that California, Texas, and most other states follow suit.

Rebekah was impacted most visibly. I don't know what God has planned for this unique child, but she is often moved to tears by injustice, inequality and poverty. She definitely will be one that fights vehemently for the "underdog" in the coming years.

I wish everyone, Christian or not, in some way, whether through mission trips, books, movies, workshops or conversation, would take the time to step into the world of the deeply impoverished. Shane Claiborne writes in Irresistible Revolution that he has to believe that most people do not do more to end poverty, simply because they do not know anyone that is poor. Become friends with someone who lives in poverty and you begin to care deeply about how your own choices impact their world. It's no longer the faceless masses, vilified and condemned by our corporate-operated media. Instead it's Joe, Sue, Fred, and Frank. 

If you are a Christian, I ask you to just read your Bible. If there is no other venue open to you with which you can engage with the poor...go straight to the heart of Jesus (himself a poor man) and witness the compassion, mercy, grace and lenses of love through which He approached those whom society would much rather push to the margins. I can guarantee you that I know what you'll find:
A heart that beats with passion for those that His Father never forgets.

So shouldn't ours?

No comments:

Post a Comment