Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Hobbit Cafe'- Houston, Texas


On my trip to Houston to visit Abbey, the one place she'd mentioned that I really wanted to try was Hobbit Cafe'. It was just as fun and delicious as I'd hope it would be. 

Started in 1972, these are people dedicated to the Tolkien stories, not the presently popular movie versions. Their food, while mostly named for characters and places with which I'm familiar in the stories, still had us pulling out Abbey's iPhone to Google Valinor and a few other terms with which were weren't familiar in Hobbit-lore. That's how fun this place is.




Indoors, you're surrounded by a hefty collection of memorabilia and outside, you sit in the beer garden underneath the Party Tree. It was a beautiful day, so we sat outside. For a Kentuckian in February, just sitting outside for lunch made the entire experience delightful.

I had a delicious salmon burger (with no fun Hobbit name for it) and Abbey had a tasty portobello burger sans bun topped with jalapenos and alfalfa sprouts.  Our server was kind, prompt, attentive and helpful with suggestions. 

If I'm ever lucky enough to visit Houston again, I would definitely head back there for lunch or dinner. They have Sunday brunch items too. If you're in the area, check them out.





No comments:

Post a Comment