Sunday, September 12, 2010

Feeding the Multitudes

I've previously blogged, (July 26, 2010 How Dare You) about when God has already given us so much, should we ask for more when someone else's need arises? Or should we take what He's given us and pass it on to provide for the other person? Now, I feel like I have Scripture to back up what I quoted Tony Campolo as saying.

John 6:1-15 is where John records what we in the church often call The Feeding of the 5000. (But it was really thousands more, the 5000 were only the counted men!) In vv 5-6, it says Jesus "tests" Philip by asking him "Where are we to buy bread, so that these may eat?" Obviously, Philip has no clue. He even does a quick estimate that it would take over 200 denarii (a denarius was about a day's wages...so more than 3/4 of a year's wages) for everyone to get a little food.

But Andrew (the 1st documented disciple in the book of John) steps up with a little boy's lunch of 5 barley loaves and 2 fish. Now Andrew admits it's not enough...but it's something!

Once again, I feel Holy Spirit reminding me that there is no way I can ever possibly help or feed everyone that I want to...but He's already given me some barley loaves & fish (or the American take...some wheat bread & chicken sticks!) and if I'm just willing to share even this meager offering...He will multiply it in an amazing way!!!

And one more thought on this passage...I would venture to guess that Jesus didn't point to this little boy and tell the thousands there that they owed their gratitude for lunch to him. No, we are told He thanked His Father for the provision. We're not even told whether the boy offered his lunch or if it was just confiscated by the disciples...my guess, is that it was given willingly. And it's not documented that this little boy ever received a word of thanks. But, he went home that day with a full belly, the witness of amazing signs and wonders and the confidence & peace of the blessings that only come from obedience!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment