Sunday, September 19, 2010

I Could Say a LOT, but...

Actually, the title doesn't mean I'm going to rant. This is what I feel Jesus is saying in John 8:26. The religious Jews have been questioning Him...the more correct term would probably be "grilling" Him...on who He is, what He is teaching and most importantly, who His Father is.

In verse 8:15 of John, Jesus says, "You judge according to the flesh, I am not judging anyone." He does add that if He should judge, because He judges according to the Father, His judgment is true.

I pray I'm not reading too much into what Jesus is saying here, but it's almost like He's to the point of exasperation when He finally says, "I have many things to speak and to judge concerning you, but He who sent Me is true; and the things which I heard from Him, these I speak to the world." (John 8:26 NASB)

I even picture Him throwing up His hands (okay, that's more what I would do!) looking at them and saying, 'You know...there's a WHOLE list of things I could tell you you're doing wrong. Then maybe your eyes would finally be opened to who I am. BUT, I'm willing to lay that aside and only speak Abba's words to you because I know ultimately, that's who you need to listen to and who will create the biggest, lasting heart change in you.'

This reminds me again of the passage that I need to get rid of the plank in my own eye before showing a brother or sister the speck in theirs. I'll confess, I'm REALLY struggling with this right now.

I have felt for many months that the scales have fallen from my eyes. Sara Groves writes, "The glory of God is man fully alive." I've also thought of it as a bubble that God has propelled me through and I see so many still trapped inside. I want to help them out, but I have to wait for them to let God pull them through it.

So I carry these burdens for people...not that they have health, wealth and happiness...but that they'll be able to experience the deep, abiding love and relationship with the Holy Spirit that I have found. But the enemy knows my weakness is usually my strength too. And as the Spirit lays someone on my heart & mind to pray for, I catch myself getting angry that they can't see what is so obvious in front of them. What do I choose? Do I judge them, feel self-righteous in my choices and congratulate myself for moving past these weights that ensnare? Or do I pray for them, grieve for them because of the time they are losing with their Abba and thank the Holy Spirit for the mercy He gives me every day? Unfortunately, too often I choose the first!

There is no answer to this...no formula I can adhere to...no example set in stone that I can follow. There IS the example of Jesus. But didn't even He adapt His response to whom He was speaking. Gregory Boyd says the only right we ever have to judge is when it is a case of religious sin...like the Pharisees, etc....judging, self-righteous. Or if someone we know has invited us into a relationship with them where they have expressed a desire to be held accountable, then we can point out sin to them as well.

But what is the protocol when the enemy makes you feel self-righteous for pointing something out to a person that invited you in, then non-verbally retracted the invitation once uncomfortable discussions were had. I don't see an example in Scripture of Jesus chasing anyone down, asking them out for a chalice of wine so they can renew the conversation. He never goes back later and says, 'You know what, I may not have explained myself fully...listen again to what I have to say.' No, like the rich young ruler or the disciples that turned away (see previous post Bread of Life) from His challenging words, He just let them walk away.

I'll confess, that's not the option I want because it hurts to lose a friend. It hurts to feel unwanted, uninvited...unloved. So I wait and I pray and I try not to take it personally...because I know it's not ME that they're really running from...and I hope that there will come a day when the Holy Spirit can restore a friendship that I once cherished. In the meantime, the only thing I can do is bring them through prayer to the Abba that loves us all as His Spirit brings them to mind. That's what I should have been doing all along anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment