Sunday, June 1, 2014

Provoking Jealousy

When I started studying Hosea last week with some ladies at my local coffee shop, we talked a lot about harlotry/idolatry as God depicts our sin in Hosea 1. As I'm finishing up Mark Batterson's book, All In, (review soon!) the chapter entitled "The Idol that Provokes to Jealousy" resonated deeply with me. Batterson's referring to Ezekial 8:3 where he sees an idol that provokes jealousy in God.

We are taught to hate that word jealousy, aren't we? After all, we aren't supposed to be jealous of anything right? Batterson writes that God isn't jealous of anything...He's jealous for everything. It's all His to begin with.

Including me.

And you.

He created us for relationship with Him and He jealously protects that relationship to the point that He wants absolutely nothing to stand between He and I. (or you.)

"The idol that provokes to jealousy is anything that diverts our attention from God, our affection for God, or our reliance on God. It's anything that consumes more time or more money than our pursuit of God."

And this:

"Identifying your idols starts with looking at the way you spend your time and spend your money. I can tell you what my priorities are, but if you really want to know what is most important to me, all you have to do is look at my calendar and my checkbook. They don't lie. They reveal what my true priorities are. They will also reveal the idol that provokes to jealousy."

Batterson goes on to write about the hidden rooms of our hearts and what would others see if they could peer inside? Then this is what stopped me up short this morning when I read it:

"If you want to identify your idols, you need to reverse engineer your emotions. Trace the trail of your tears or fears, your cheers or jeers. If you follow it all the way to the trailhead, you'll come face-to-face with the idols in your life." 

Ouch!

What makes or ruins my day?
What produces the strongest emotions in me?

It's not wrong to cheer on my favorite team, or laugh at something I watch...but if those are producing more emotion in me than the things that break the heart of my Savior...then I need to start asking myself some tough questions.

What moves the heart of God is a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment