Monday, June 29, 2015

More Covington Exploration


Did you know that there is a troll that lives under the Roebling Bridge? We didn't either. But while walking around Roebling Pointe yesterday, we discovered all sorts of wonderful things!

Leah wanted to visit the Basilica for her birthday, but that adventure would have to wait since there is no visitation on Sundays. Instead, we headed down toward the River to look for a coffee and bookshop I'd read about online. Last Sunday when we ate at Molly Malone's for Father's Day (which was absolutely delicious!) we tried to find it, but got turned around on the one way streets.

Yesterday...success!


Roebling Point Books & Coffee

But only about 10 minutes before they closed. We'll definitely be back.

I asked if we could walk around a little more and headed under the bridge where I thought I had previously seen murals. The first thing we found though, was this ingenious place called The Gruff. Why The Gruff?


Because obviously that's where the 3 Billy Goats would hang out after getting past the aforementioned Troll! 

Whoever thought up this restaurant idea at the base of the bridge is genius. I have no idea what they serve (they are closed on Sundays), how much it costs or if it's any good...but I will without question support such amazing local creativity!


A little further on, and we found the murals...



they're sort of hard to miss.

What followed was a great history lesson for my girls about Covington's Riverfront district and how the Roebling Suspension Bridge was actually a prototype for the world-famous Brooklyn Bridge. Historically important...aesthetically beautiful...and all I know is, scary to drive on.[I'm sure it's just me, but I always feel like my tires are slipping on it...even the new tires.]


It was a gorgeous day and a good way to celebrate Leah. 12 years ago we set off on an adventure with this little girl who is always on the go. She loves people, she loves life and most of all, she loves Jesus. Her passion and zeal for adventure is unlike anyone else I know. It was entirely appropriate to have an unexpected adventure on her day.






No comments:

Post a Comment