Sunday, June 21, 2015

I Didn't Even Know I Could Ask!?


This may look like "just" some raspberries and very small garlic bulbs. You would be right.

And you would be wrong. It is so much more.

It's essentially a question I've been asking myself:  What have I missed out on because I was too afraid to ask?

I want to say flat-out that I am not a "prosperity" Gospel person. I believe God's Word that the rain falls on the just and the unjust. We will have bad things happen, simply because we exist. There isn't any magical set of hoops we can jump through to get the big house, fancy car, around the world cruise or _____________(insert your wildest dream).

But James told us that "Every good and perfect gift comes from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow." (see James 1:16-17) In other words, God gives good gifts to His children.

If you've journeyed with me for any length of time at all, you know what a gift our new home is. I truly cannot think of one single thing that we needed...or wanted...that God did not provide. My children even tease me that I've developed a "script" of sorts when I give a tour of our new house. When they first mentioned this, I backed off of my exuberance a little...but then realized that the "script" was just the story of what God had done in us, through us, and for us.

One of the last pieces to fall into place was discovering a community garden a mere five houses down from where we live. I had a key within a week of moving in, and 10 tomato plants planted in my new plot by the following week.

Because I've seen how God has put this all together, I have not dared to say, "Oh...and God...if You don't mind...there's one more thing I'd like to have." I kept thinking instead that He has done immeasurably more than I could ask or imagine, so I didn't want to be greedy and ask for something else.

As I've plotted, planned and put in my gardening areas, the one thing I kept thinking was that I would never have space for berries (which are some of my favorites), asparagus or maybe not even a garlic bed. This was neither a request, nor a complaint...just wishful thinking. Obviously, this picture gives away the story.

You see God is so abundantly awesome that He prompted someone several years ago, to plant peach trees, grapes, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, garlic and yes...even asparagus so that one day I could come along, tend to them, and enjoy a little harvest. I'm not sure that words can express the delight, the joy and the amazement at how my Abba orchestrated all of this. 

No one has taken care of these plants in years. It will be my pleasure to do so. A good and perfect gift is worthy of great care and tender cultivation. I would not want to neglect something He so brilliantly grew in anticipation of my arrival in this neighborhood.

Today, as I scurried around looking for a container to carry home the delicious raspberries, my mind kept turning over the wonder and awe of a God who delights in giving us a handful of berries because He knows it will move us to tears at how tenderly merciful He is. I know He was smiling at my joy and basking in the praise I offered Him for knowing me even better than I know myself.

And the verse that just kept circling round and round in my awestruck brain was again from James: "You do not have because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your own pleasures." (4:2-3)

What have I been too afraid to ask?
What have I missed because I thought it was too insignificant to ask of my Father?
How do I live so that these gifts are not only "spent" on my pleasures?
What is He anxiously waiting to give me, because He knows I will appreciate it in a way that no one else will?
Why don't I ask Him what He wants me to ask for?

I have some homework. I think you do too. And if you get to a place in your thoughts that you think what you're asking is insignificant, tedious or you could just go out and do it yourself...please come back to this photo.

I mean...really...a God who puts together a few red raspberries to embrace the soul of one of His children. Yeah...I don't think you need to worry about it being too small.



No comments:

Post a Comment