Friday, April 8, 2011

I Almost Laughed Out Loud!

God is truly amazing, isn't He?

Mind you, I haven't been worrying...just thinking. About what?

Well how quickly our tax refund has been dwindling away. We still have enough for about 2-3 more months, but it's going faster than I'd hoped. Partly this has been because we've put some money in our used vehicles to get them ready for another year. Also, some things I've wanted so we can eat healthier like a water distiller, food processor and a food dehydrator, plus stocking up on food like flour, beans, etc. through my food co-op. I don't feel guilty about buying any of these because they'll keep us healthy throughout the year, saving us money on doctor bills, co-pays and even over the counter meds.

We were also blessed to be able to give away 10% of the tax money to people and ministries we care about. So why have I been concerned about how quickly it's going? Because the human/carnal person in me knows that when it's gone, we'll be on God's good graces again...dependent upon Him for everything.

You'd think I'd be used to that by now wouldn't you? I have to admit, it's still not second nature to me to have nothing in the bank and to expectantly wait for Him to deliver our needs.

Back to why I almost laughed out loud...The last thing I wanted to get with our tax money was a couch...more of a sectional-type thing. Something to replace the futon with the bent frame (and recycle the futon mattress onto one of the kid's beds because their mattress needs replaced) and the recliner that's falling apart and putting gouges in the wall when the kids get too close.

For about a week, I haven't made a concerted effort to pray about this, just as I think about whether to get a couch or not, asking the Holy Spirit, 'Is it wise to get one when it means our savings will be that much more depleted?' Really we don't need a new couch and can I justify the expense? Are people really going to feel that uncomfortable in our home because our furniture is falling apart? After all, we could just get a new mattress and be done with it, right? Again, I haven't dwelled on this a lot, but when it's come to mind...I've been trying to ask Holy Spirit for His leading.

Then Wednesday, I had to work all day and Dale stayed home with the kids. I knew He was getting some work done on the car. He wasn't home when I got there, so I was looking for the receipt to see how much it cost. Laying right next to the receipt I see a deposit receipt for almost $1500 and a detachable statement that is very vague but appears to have come with a check for Dale in this amount.

I walked away, shaking my head and seriously...chuckled (but almost guffawed!) out loud! I did say out loud, "God, You're funny! Thanks!"

Turns out, this was a distribution from Dale's first bank employer that was sold to another bank over 17 years ago. We never even knew he had it. This was 3 jobs and 3 more bank mergers or buyouts ago. Not to mention, six moves later that they found out where to send it. [Honestly though, our last name isn't too difficult to track down!]

Do you see why I laughed out loud?

I know we could have received this money at any time within the last 17 years and yet, God in His amazing timing, coordinated it so we get it right when I've been concerned about how long we can stretch our savings. I'm still smiling at the thought!

As always, we'll give 10% away to someone else who needs it. Will we get the couch? I don't know...I'm still praying about that one. But we'll obey the Spirit's leading! And this I do know...My God is able to supply my need according to His riches in glory (Phil 4:19) and He is faithful to complete the good work that He has begun in me (Phil. 1:6) no matter what type of furniture I'm sitting on.

No comments:

Post a Comment