Monday, December 10, 2012

An Unfortunate Mental Block

Over the past several weeks as I've been memorizing passages in the book of James, I've been attempting to share what I've learned, discerned and sometimes even "unlearned" along the way. Being a bit of a rules-oriented, methodical, analytical, logical person, I just naturally assumed I'd share these lessons in the order in which they are presented in James. That being the case, I should be ready to write about passages that fall somewhere after chapter 1, verse 17.

I've even been more than a little frustrated that I either haven't found the time to write, have been too distracted from my writing or worst of all, not inspired to write. I guess it's been a little like what is commonly called "writer's block". Yet, the ideas have been flowing and there are at least two and maybe as many as five blog posts worth of thoughts that have been brewing in my brain...but for some reason, they have not been erupting onto the screen...at least not at the pace I'd like to see happen.

I've continued my memory work though, and have been making my way through chapter three...slowly, but steadily...until I hit verse six. For a day or so I struggled to come up with some clue, some repeated word, some device that would help me link the scripture to what I'd already learned. This is what I've done for the last two months to help me remember each passage. I've even been astonished at how much of James' writing is cyclical. He is constantly referring back to a previous phrase or word that ties everything together perfectly. This style actually makes it difficult to pontificate on his teaching because to talk about one verse means most likely you'll have to discuss several more to understand his full meaning.

But not verse six of chapter three. It's just there. In my face...shouting at me...two thousand years after he penned the lines....screaming, "Angela, pay attention...this one is for you!" It was when I realized this that I was able to understand why I had by this time been struggling for about five days to remember it.

Essentially, I don't like what it says.

It hits way too close for comfort.

But then again, I think James' forte is to make us comfy Christians...well...uncomfortable.

You see, a lot of the blog posts that have been brewing in my head are a culmination of the teaching of James, a book I've just finished by Shane Claiborne, my angst over what I have seen and heard from the people I know that call themselves Christians, my burden to serve and love the poor, the downtrodden and the needy and the grief I'm feeling over how far we have strayed from whom Jesus taught us to become. Yet, I always remain hopeful that we, the Church, are willing to re-learn what our Savior taught at the same time we're willing to un-learn some of the deadly habits that have infiltrated our lives and churches. I see glimmer after glimmer of God's light shining into very dark places and it moves me to tears at the inexpressible joy I feel to know that He still trusts us to live out His Kingdom in this world.

Admittedly, some of what I've been wanting to say could really anger some...alienate others...and could possibly cause some defriending to occur. I'm at a place in my journey where I'm not worried about someone's reaction toward me...but since I committed to myself about four years ago that I would never intentionally write something that offends...I have been very careful to always guard my written "tongue" with the discernment of the Holy Spirit. If He wants me to write something...then I am not responsible for how it is received.

So while writing about James 3:6 was not my plan for my next blog post...I'm thrilled that my Abba interrupted my plan with a better one. I still think some of those posts (if not all) will be written and I still think there will be some who may be offended or maybe just disappointed. But I know from this point forward what I write about James (or any other word that flows from this keyboard) I will be on my guard...as I should always be. And each of those words need to flow through the filter that is James 3:6.

A little authenticity here: I didn't want to learn James 3:6. In fact, I wanted to just skim right over it and move on...life would be a lot easier without it. But I also know that I never signed up for an easy life...where's the fun in that?

So here we go.

If you stick with me, some of what I write in the next few weeks may not be what you want to hear (or read, as is the case with this medium)...but please trust that it comes from a heart that is seeking to be humble...to admit my flaws...to acknowledge that I don't have all of the answers, just a lot of questions...and that I am attempting with the Holy Spirit's help to not start any fires on my own. Nope, He's the only fire I want in my life!


"And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell." (James 3:6)


I weep at the fires I've seen started recently by many who say they are my brothers and sisters in Christ. Please join me in praying that we will all humble ourselves before our Mighty God who doesn't need us to speak for Him. Here's why [remember that cyclical teaching that I mentioned?]:

"Man's anger does not accomplish God's righteousness." (James 1:20)

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment