Monday, January 21, 2013

I Wonder Why?


I will concede that I know far too little about the man pictured above...the man whom our country celebrates today with a holiday...Martin Luther King Jr (MLK). I need to read more biographies, his own writings and I would even like to one day visit memorials and museums in Birmingham, Memphis and Atlanta that commemorate the life of a man that taught violence was never a means to an end. Most of this has been on my to-do list for quite some time and I need to get moving on it because I believe there is much to learn about justice, love, grace and forgiveness from this man.

I was reflecting on this today when this question occurred to me: Why...when there have been biopic films made on every important figure in ancient and modern history, has there never been one made about him?

I mean, I've seen movies about Malcolm X, Gandhi, Jesus, Lawrence of Arabia, the Dalai Lama, Alexander the Great, Pocahantas, movie stars, and many, many presidents, emperors and royalty (past and present)...but not this man...I wonder why?




Is it because love and non-violence aren't big ticket sellers? That can't be it, because there was plenty of violence surrounding MLK...he just didn't participate in it. Plus, Gandhi and Jesus would fall into this train of thought too and there are plenty of movies about both.

Is it because there is something ugly in his private life we shouldn't know? That can't be it either, there has been plenty of slanderous innuendo about his extra-marital affairs...whether true or contrived to keep his image ugly...I don't think anyone believes the man was perfect. Plus, we all know about the Kennedys and that's never stopped a good biopic being made about them.

No, I really don't have an answer to this question, it was just something I was pondering. But, maybe there's a little nugget of truth in some of these questions. What could a biopic about a man who refused to be kept down because of his race stir up in the oppressed, persecuted, downcast and downtrodden that our culture might want to keep at bay? 

Hope in a better future...that's what. After all...if you sit in a theatre and watch someone living out and teaching/preaching that you were meant for more than what mere man says you can be...you might just believe him and start to do something about it. You may even get inspired and follow his example and someday...

change the world!


No comments:

Post a Comment