Monday, January 7, 2013

Two Sherlocks


In junior high, I spent a lot of time reading Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and absolutely loved every one. Quickly after leaving that era in my life, I guess I drifted away from reading the stories, but I've always enjoyed a good mystery.

Over the last few years, I've seen the Robert Downey, Jr. movie versions, but haven't thought they were compelling enough for any subsequent additions to the franchise. I've found them to be predictable...and nothing exasperates my family (and myself) more than when I blurt out less than half way into the movie or TV show exactly whom is the guilty culprit. The humor in Monk and Psych are the exception to this. For the sake of the fantastic humor and witty writing, I keep my mouth shut regarding my suspicions.

Finally, a Sherlock Holmes TV show...actually two that are worth my time and are not pushing the envelope with the grotesque, debased or immoral like so many other shows do. And the actors are pretty good too!

My daughter, Abbey, has told me for several months that England's Sherlock starring Benedict (I've been corrected by my daughter from my previous entry of Benjamin) Cumberbatch and The Hobbit's  Martin Freeman was worthy of watching. But we're so addicted to Doctor Who that I hesitated to indulge too much more in British television.

Enter Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu in the CBS series Elementary. I've enjoyed watching Miller over the years, first in Eli Stone (I still watch the reruns on Netflix), Jane Austen's Mansfield Park and the most recent Austen mini-series Emma. Overall, the show is good, fast-paced, intelligent and keeps me guessing most of the time. Miller's modern version of Holmes is as a recovering drug addict which makes for a unique twist with Dr. Watson (yes, Lucy Liu) as his sobriety companion. Honestly, I think the weakest link in the show may be Liu. I've never seen her in anything else, so I don't know if she's always monotone and flat or if that is just how she's playing this character.

After the success of finally finding a show I can watch and neither feel guilty nor have unwanted images in my brain later...I decided to give Britain's updated version of Sherlock a try too.



I was not disappointed. I think it's even better than the version offered this side of The Pond. I said I wasn't disappointed...but there is one thing I don't like about the show...there are only three episodes per season. Netflix currently has six episodes available and I'm afraid I'll be done with those too soon.

Apparently, if I want to find good television I need to look to the Brits to do it. I'm sure they have as much of the inane reality/game shows that we do...but as long as they keep cranking out programs like Doctor Who, Sherlock, and now my favorite, Downton Abbey (posting soon!)...I'll keep watching! Interestingly, the one American program I like has the British Jonny Lee Miller in the lead role. I'm noticing a theme here...and I'm not alone. Given the "Who-vians" that are cropping up everywhere and the overwhelming response Downton Abbey has received in the U.S., maybe it's time for American television to take the hint from "the motherland" and make our programs smarter.

Witty repartee versus yet one more "you can be a rock star" show. Really? Is there even a choice? No...in fact, I think the answer is,  "Elementary, my dear Watson."

1 comment: