Tuesday, April 30, 2013

He Said WHAT?

I've been marking more of the book of Isaiah, after taking a very lengthy hiatus because of the two previous Bible studies I've done at church. I'm growing to love Isaiah though, and am enjoying my time alone with God's Spirit while searching through it. I'm currently in the part of the book that references King Hezekiah a lot. Recently, I came across a passage that left me shaking my head in disbelief. Even though I've read it before, I am still amazed.

Last week, for one day's study, I read about how King Hezekiah was "mortally ill" (see Isaiah 38). It doesn't sound good, does it? But what does the king do? He doesn't resign himself to the inevitable. He has been told to "set your house in order, for you will surely die and not live." [Sarcasm moment...I would think most of us would "not live" if we had "surely" died. Just love God's humor sometimes!] To me this is about as much of a double negative regarding your continuing existence as you can have. But no...Hezekiah reminds God that he has always followed God with his whole heart and has done what is "good in Your sight." (verses 1-3)

So Hezekiah dies...right?

No! God changes His mind and says, "I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; behold, I will add fifteen years to your life." Wow! If you ever needed proof that prayer can move the heart of God...there it is!

But apparently, someone else changed in the process too...Hezekiah.

The very next chapter, King Hezekiah is healed and whole and receiving visitors from Babylon with well-wishes and congratulations on his recovery (see Chapter 39). In the course of the visit, Hezekiah shows off all of his wealth. I mean he shows them everything. And we're not specifically told this...but he must have been bragging or at least had an arrogant or prideful heart about it...or in some way taken credit for amassing this wealth that had been given to him and Judah by God's provision alone.

How do I know this? Because God sends Isaiah to set the record straight.

There's not a lot of chastising or condemning words, just a few questions and then a matter-of-fact prophetic consequence: There is coming a day when everything you have stored up will be carried off to Babylon...and some of your descendants too. They will even serve the King of Babylon.

Do you remember the Hezekiah that pleaded for his life? The one that reminded God of his whole-hearted service? You'd expect that guy to show up right about now...asking...begging for forgiveness, right?

Nope...that's not him. Instead the king that responds to Isaiah says, "The word of the LORD which you have spoken is good." (verse 7) He said WHAT? Why in the world would he, who wept for his own life, not weep and plead again?

Here's a little clue: "For (Hezekiah) thought, 'For there will be peace and truth in my days.'" (emphasis mine, verse 8) Apparently, Hezekiah wasn't concerned about the world he left behind, as long as he had peace in his days.

As I sat and shook my head in wonder and thoughts flew through my mind like, 'How could he?' 'What a jerk!' 'This guy amazes me.' 'Really? Who does he think he is to ruin life for those that won't even be to blame?' and 'That's just ridiculous!'...God's Spirit stopped me in my mental tracks and reminded me...am I any different when I shop, spend money, throw away items, horde stuff, etc, etc, etc...all without any thought for the person that had to work at slave wages to give me that luxury item (like coffee, sugar or chocolate)? When I buy clothing without any regard for the sweatshop in which it has been made or I buy food that has been factory-farmed and is killing the environment that subsequent generations will inherit...am I not just like King Hezekiah?

This blog has mention after mention of organizations that are making a difference for future generations...in the God's-Kingdom-is-coming-now-type way. Two I just posted about last week are Generosity Feeds and A Heart for Korah, but there are countless groups that feel compelled to stop the cycle of poverty, human trafficking, enslavement, starvation, and filthy drinking water, either on a local or global basis. In our world of instant information, there is no longer an excuse for remaining in the dark about where darkness is thriving and God is leading His people to push it back inch-by-inch for His Kingdom.

With that in mind, I ask you this question and I pray I'll keep asking it daily of myself: how do you want to be remembered? Like King Hezekiah, as long as you have peace in your day, will you be content? Or do you want to be known as the one that allowed the Holy Spirit to use him/her to break the bonds of evil...even if only for one person?

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment