Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What a Ride!

Yesterday, I celebrated 19 years married to the same man. Because I run in mostly Christian circles, this doesn't always seem like a great feat to me. I know though that realistically, both inside and outside the Body of Christ, this far exceeds the "norm".

I would also like to quickly point out that I humbly take none of the credit. Were it not for God's mercy and grace, we wouldn't have gotten this far. And I told Dale last night, "If Jesus doesn't come back, maybe we'll be given 19 more."

I wrote this on my Facebook wall yesterday: "Happy Anniversary Dale Barthauer! Thankful that you joined me on this roller coaster ride 19 years ago." And I meant it!

I wasn't just trying to be cute or come up with something original. Actually, it's not original at all.

I once heard a speaker say that he thought that every valuable life lesson could be taught from the movie "City Slickers". For me, that movie is "Parenthood", starring Steve Martin. And though it's been more than a decade since I last saw it, one of the most profound lessons I've ever learned comes from the grandmother of the family, played by Helen Shaw.


[I hope this clip plays. If the link doesn't work, definitely go to Youtube to watch it.]


Here's what I knew within the first two years of this leg of the Journey together...we were in for the ride of a lifetime! Looking back at this juncture...I wouldn't trade one hill or one valley!

Every once in awhile, I feel compelled to make a "master list" of all that we've been through: loss, death of loved ones, financial distress, job changes or losses, family tragedy, church family difficulties and on and on and on. I don't do this to somehow dwell on the negative. Once I write the list in my then-current journal, I put it away and don't look at it again. I feel comforted by God's Spirit that He leads me to do this because some day, when I've shed this mortal shell, my prayer is that my spouse, my kids or my grandkids or even perfect strangers will stumble upon it and be encouraged to read the factual documentation that God is good and He will always be on the roller coaster with you.

When Dale and I each posted our "Happy Anniversary" to each other we received several dozen "likes" and comments congratulating us. But one friend I think understood my perspective...because she added, "Keep your hands and feet in the car at all times." I would be lying if I didn't admit that I've wished numerous times that I could have just a little merry-go-round fun, (see YouTube clip above) if only for a little while.

But the Holy Spirit has led and pled with me, especially in the last three years, that I need to know and remain confident that when I say these crazy things like, "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord." (see Joshua 24:15) and 'No matter what, I'm going to cling to Him,' or 'Though the world may pass away, I will serve the Lord,' (see I John 2:17)...I've already bought my ticket and found my front row seat for the loops and spins, heights and depths...I might as well let go and throw up my hands too.

And sometimes...just a very few sometimes...He'll allow me enough inertia, enough speed and just the right amount of wind that I'm even lifted off my seat and allowed the privilege to feel like I'm flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment