Sunday, April 21, 2013

Persepolis 2


I did read the second graphic novel, as I mentioned in a previous post that I would. (see Argo and Persepolis) To be honest, I didn't like it as well as the first installment.

It was definitely interesting to see the outcome of her education in Austria and her return to Iran, but her obvious struggle with depression through the years made it a little difficult to wade through. She was successful at portraying the blandness of her life. If that was her intent...it was perfection. Essentially, the author never felt she fit in anywhere...in Iran, she was not an Islamic extremist and in Austria she was the Iranian that the rest of the world had been taught to fear.

Although I did appreciate the sense of her "coming home" not only physically to Iran, but also an eventual embracing of whom she is, the abrupt conclusion to the story disappointed me. I don't know if the author is planning a third in the series, but after coming to the end of this one, I felt that the anti-climactic ending left the possibility wide open.

If you've read the first graphic novel, I still encourage you to read this one. It will complete the story to some degree and can help us better understand the millions in our world that feel like they too don't "fit in".

No comments:

Post a Comment