Saturday, December 7, 2013

Follow Up on Our Fair Trade Expo Excursion- Lawrenceburg, Indiana


After about 45 minutes, I was able to thaw out our vehicle enough for us to drive over to southeastern Indiana today for a great event. I already have the date saved for next year too...it was that good. 

Community Fellowship Church hosts the annual event the first weekend in December. Much of their items come from a Festival Sales organization called Ten Thousand Villages. My new Bengal Nativity from Peru, the two bars of soap from India and my favorite purchase, the self-watering snail from Bangladesh (pictured in the pot in the photo above) are all from this organization that began in 1946.

But there were other ministries represented as well and one, Recyclo Craftz took time to tell us how she got started ministering to at-risk women in Zambia and how she barters with local tailors there for scraps of cloth for use in the projects. 

My favorite table was run by Pezulu Arts. Although I didn't buy anything from them at this time, I hope to in the future. If I'd been shopping just for myself, I would have picked up either one of their hand painted spoon rests or salt and pepper shakers. The artistry was amazing.






Divine Chocolate was also available. I've purchased this brand from It's Only Fair before and it is delicious. Finding out they have a mail order website is probably a dangerous thing!


I found this hand sewn bookmark for a gift from Amani Ya Juu, which means "higher peace" in Swahili. It was made by women in Nairobi, Kenya. I also found another gift, that I can't picture here from Trade as One.

Now that I've been to the Expo, I wish I would have organized a shopping trip with some of my friends. I think that's a good goal for next year. If you want to know why buying Fair Trade is becoming so important to me, watch the video at the Expo's website http://fightinghopelessness.org/

If what I buy for myself or as gifts for others can make a difference in someone's life, why wouldn't I choose to do that? If buying less so that I can spend more, and in turn support an individual, helping them to live self-sufficiently, instead of lining the pockets of corporate greed and devastation...isn't it not only ethically right...but also morally imperative to do so when I have the option? Knowing that my $18 for an adorable Nativity helps an artisan in Peru eat and have a warm place to sleep, is a good thing. I can't say that about every purchase I make, especially one's made at large discount stores like Wal-Mart, Target and other chains...so I'm thankful for Community Fellowship Church making an opportunity like this one available and introducing me to organizations from whom I can now purchase throughout the year.




No comments:

Post a Comment