Saturday, December 28, 2013

On the Fourth Day of Christmas- Source Naturals Vitamin B-12


Placed approximately in the center of this photo, you'll see my bottle of Source Naturals MethylCobalamin Vitamin B-12, Cherry Flavored, 120 Tablets. This little bottle has made a huge difference in my energy levels and sleep habits. Most adults don't get an adequate supply of B-12 and yet it's an absolute necessity for better energy and deep sleep. 

According to information I found on Livestrong.com, healthy levels of B-12 turns off your natural melatonin and assist the sleep-awake cycle by boosting your response to light in the morning. Your transition from sleep to wakefulness will happen more quickly...and this is the benefit I've noticed the most. Taking one sublingual B-12 at night, before sleep and I awaken the following morning without that groggy, "hungover" feeling that can only be pushed off by caffeine. I no longer need a cup of java or tea first thing. 

I also found this article that states that B-12 is essential for melatonin production. I've almost completely eliminated taking synthetic melatonin. I only use it now on very rare occasions. My goal for this next year is that our whole family will transition to B-12 instead.

Some information I came across stated that as many as 40% of adults are B-12 deficient, yet most meat eaters have been told that only vegans experience this. Wrong. All of us are susceptible and our convenience food American culture only compounds the problem. If you want to have a more natural "circadian" rhythm, B-12 will greatly improve the possibility. The next thing I need to eliminate to sleep more naturally is no more watching movies or computer screens after dark. That part is going to be tough for me.

One thing I disagree with on the Livestrong page is that B-12 could cause sleep deprivation. My experience (and one that I've found to be common to others) was that taking this sublingual tab in the morning, made me drowsy after about two hours...excessively drowsy. Upon a suggestion I came across on the internet, I experimented with taking it at different times throughout the day and found for myself that the best time is right before bed. The more you get in tune with your body, the better you'll be able to distinguish what time is best for you.

Lastly, don't run right out and buy any 'ol B-12 supplement. Any version that is made from cyanocobalamin does contain trace amounts of cyanide...that are legal. I know I don't know you, but I'm just going to presume that most people don't want cyanide in their bodies. That's how I came across the Source Naturals option. If is made from methylcobalamin which is perfectly safe to take.


Next up- Source Naturals Vitamin D-3 drops



No comments:

Post a Comment