Wednesday, January 15, 2014

No Bake Cookies, Vegan Style


My friend, Heather, asked me for this recipe recently and I realized that although I would be a very rich woman if I had a dollar for every time I've made these, I have no recipe down on paper. So...here it is.

The original, my older siblings brought home in a Mulligan Stew comic book when I was in early elementary school. By the time I was in high school, I had it memorized. Here is the original contents:
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup milk
2 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons cocoa
3 cups quick cooking oats

To be honest, I foresee no way to make this recipe "healthy". Instead, I can offer the following as a healthy-ish option.

1/2 scant cup coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut or almond milk
2 cups evaporated cane juice or rapadura sugar (these are usually Vegan)
2 Tablespoons nut butter of choice
1 teaspoon vanilla (preferably Fair Trade)
2 Tablespoons cocoa (preferably Fair Trade)
3 cups rolled oats (not quick cooking)

  1. Place oil, milk, sugar and nut butter in 2 quart saucepan.
  2. On medium high heat, stir occasionally and bring mixture to a boil.
  3. IMPORTANT- set timer for one minute and allow mixture to boil while stirring only enough to prevent it boiling over.
  4. When timer goes off, immediately remove the pan from heat.
  5. Stir in cocoa, vanilla and oats until blended.
  6. Lay out enough waxed paper for cookies (about 15-18 inches) on a countertop.
  7. Drop cookies by desired sized spoonful.
  8. Allow to cool.
  9. Enjoy!


If you've prepared them properly, the first ones dropped onto the waxed paper should be setting up by the time you put the last ones in place. 

I have successfully learned how to cut this recipe in half also, but I wouldn't suggest attempting it until you're familiar with the consistency,as the timing does need adjusted lower, but not completely in half.






No comments:

Post a Comment