Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Here's What I Did Today


It's 37 degrees in our neck of the woods. It downright feels like Spring. I even saw 50 on my thermometer that's strategically placed in the sunshine! 

But no matter the temperature, this was the day I had planned to start some tomatoes. That's right...I started tomato plants today...30 of them to be precise. Believe it or not, I have more planned for tomorrow.

Yes, I see lots of selling and sharing of plants in my near future...plus buckets and buckets of tomatoes, I hope!

It was a beautiful thing to gather up my compost, mix up some potting soil, sit at my dining table with the sun beaming through the picture window and poke those seeds into that black gold my worms have been working hard to produce.

I'll keep you posted, but the next step was to place them on top of our refrigerator for a few days until they sprout. These are all tomatoes that are longer to harvest (80-90 days). I'm going to wait a few weeks to start the ones with shorter harvests (70-80 days).

Sure it's a little early, but I hope to have plants by May that are competitive with the ones you can buy in the stores. I don't have a greenhouse, but I do have non-GMO, heirloom seeds, some amazing organic compost and lots of TLC for these little guys.

I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment