Sunday, February 23, 2014

Winter 2014 Gardening Update

From left to right: lemon tree, recycled red onions, salad greens, recycled green onions, salad greens and pink chard

Since there is technically only one month left in winter, I thought I'd give you an update on how the indoor gardening has gone the first year. Overall, I'd give it a B+. If you're outside the U.S., I'd equate that to a modest success.

From left to right: lettuce bowl salad and recycled romaine lettuce.

It has been far from perfect, and I have not produced enough to completely replace any produce from the store. But I have been experimenting with recycling vegetables and it has gone fairly well.


I've also been able to supplement our purchase of greens slightly. With one full vegan (Abbey) and one attempting to convert...again (that would be me!)...we go through copious amounts of greens. My goal is to do an extended juice fast this May like I did in May 2013 and to harvest most of my greens directly from my patio or my friend's home where I'll also be gardening this spring.

In aquaponics tank, wheat grass, broccoli sprouts, basil and recycled celery in pot in foreground.

The aquaponics tank has not been the success that I had hoped. I have had one productive basil plant and can grow sprouts very well. Leaf lettuce just does not produce. I've also completely given up having a fish in the tank because they just kept dying. We do have a snail in it, but basically it is being used more hydroponically as I have to add bacteria occasionally to help the plants.

From left to right: lemon tree, recycled carrot top/greens, oregano, two pots of cilantro. Amaryllis bulb and sago palm in window sill.

If you visit our home, you'll see plants started everywhere now. The tomatoes and peppers have sprouted and I'm constantly starting new greens and herbs or recycling root vegetables. While the snow lingered longer than usual, the continuous gardening did help ease the winter "blahs" a bit.

Still...I have to confess that the dirt outside is calling my name and I am greatly looking forward to expanding to the patio and beyond!



No comments:

Post a Comment