Friday, February 7, 2014

Planting With the Moon

Years ago, my parents taught me to plant a garden according to the phases of the moon. If it is a root vegetable, plant it from just after the full moon until the new moon. For crops that are above ground, you do the opposite...just after the new moon until the full.

This has always worked for me and made complete sense if you know anything about tidal pulls and how intricately woven all of nature is with the moon's influence. But a few months ago, I wanted to find an online calendar that would give me the specifics of when it was best to plant. I've come across such a site in the past, but lost track of it over the years.

My googling paid off. There is this great site, http://www.rhythmofnature.net/ where you can not only find garden planting instruction, but also watering, when to pull weeds, mow your grass, use fertilizers and harvest...all according to the phases of the moon.

But there's more. Rhythm of Nature also includes a health and beauty chart, plus a home one that shows the best days to dust or even streak free clean your windows.

Interestingly enough, I'd just come across another website from a company that I'm going to start purchasing my hair color. The Moroccan method site also included a lunar hair chart for when to cut your hair depending upon if you want to strengthen, lengthen or even impede growth.

I admit, all of this fascinates me because one of my heart's desires for many years has been to get back to living the way God intended us to live...closer to the land and living in the flow and rhythm of nature. My kids have taken to calling me a hippie. I may be wrong...but when they get their wisdom teeth pulled, I think they'll be glad their mom scheduled the appointment on an appropriately timed surgery day.

If living seasonally and with the ebb and flow of nature makes me a hippie, then I say, "Peace!"

No comments:

Post a Comment