Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Pride

Anyone near-abouts my age might have started humming "In the name of love". But that wasn't necessarily the direction I thought I was headed with this post.


Or is it?

You see, I've been thinking about pride...as in the kind that 'goeth before the fall'. (see Proverbs 16:18) At least that's what all of us who grew up in the church were told that we needed to guard against, almost more than anything I can remember...with maybe the exception of sex.

But several years ago, before our downwardly mobile lifestyle began, God's Spirit specifically whispered the word 'humility' to me. I knew at the time that humility was my next big lesson. I just didn't realize how humbled by my circumstances I could become. How could I have known? I couldn't...plain and simple.

And while I've read cute little sayings that remind us 'humility is one of those things that as soon as you think you have it...you've lost it,' God's clarifying humility a little bit more for me. Or rather, He's shining His light on some wisdom and discernment that myself and many others need to remember.

Here's what I've been noticing:  We are so concerned and hyper-aware that we do not want to be prideful...we are denying the glory to God for the things He has done!

Can I get an 'Amen!'?

Allow me to elaborate.

When I spoke in our Bible study recently, I shared with the ladies a Bible verse that perfectly describes me. "They shall eager utter (or bubble over with) the memory of Your abundant goodness and will shout joyfully of Your righteousness." (Psalm 145:7)

If you give me a chance, I am going to fill your ear with God's goodness and His righteousness. That is just who I am. I'm almost to the point where I simply can't help it anymore. For someone that used to be so terrified to speak up regarding Jesus and His workings in my life, it is nothing but Him that causes His goodness to just roll right off my tongue. I wish everything that came from my mouth were always as good as Him. (But that lesson is for another post)

There was another result of the lesson I taught on that day though (and with the help of Emily Freeman's book, A Million Little Ways)...I realized, this is what I was born to do! 

Sharing God's grace, the Love of Jesus and the discernment of the Holy Spirit either through home schooling, teaching a Bible study, writing a blog or growing a garden (yes...in my brain, it does apply!)...this is what makes me feel ALIVE! And I'm no longer going to apologize for it...sweep it under the rug...try to be something I'm not...or "humbly" shy away from acknowledging how God has gifted me.

Every part of my being is oozing with His goodness and I want everyone to know it! 

With the help of Freeman's book...which I can only read in small doses because it is chock full of godly wisdom...God's Spirit is helping me overcome the fear of my "first thoughts". I shouldn't downplay my gifts. And it is not pride that keeps me from doing so. How do I know this? Because James 1:17 tells us that "every good thing given and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the lights with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow."

Thus, if my heart is surrendered to serving God my Father and He chooses to use the gifts He's given me, it is not prideful to acknowledge the gift and, in turn, give Him the glory. I have even recently heard some people leading up to sharing something that they did...as clearly prompted by the Holy Spirit...and yet, quickly skip over the gift they were able to give away to someone in need! I completely understand that they did not want to sound prideful...but God is the giver of everything we have; He alone prompts us to be giving and kind (that does not come from our Enemy...ever!); and if someone is blessed by that gift...we should not shy away from giving Him the praise.

I will caution that Jesus told us to give in secret (see Matthew 6:4). As someone that has been the recipient of many generous gifts, I almost think this is more to protect the weaker one on the receiving end than to protect the giver from pride. This way, the recipient owes no one. There is no "one-upmanship". There is no burden lurking between the two parties involved. In other words, no strings attached. Also, as the giver, it frees me from taking any credit.

But, admittedly, when I am comfortable and have a rock solid relationship with the one to whom I am giving, I love being able to say, 'I hope we're beyond having to do the secret thing and that you know this didn't come from me. It's from God.' One of my dear friends said to me, upon receiving a gift from her, that she just didn't want any weirdness between us. With the confidence of the Holy Spirit, I could tell her, "No weirdness here. I didn't ask for the gift and it was prompted by the Holy Spirit...so thanks for being faithful to do it." See...God is worthy of the credit, not us.

What might this look like then?

Obviously, I'm assuming that we're not bragging about the gifts we've given to someone in need...directly to their faces. But I don't see any pride in admitting to a friend or companion in Christ that "God gave us this extra blessing and I am thankful He prompted us to share it." It also means living out daily what He leads us to do by the power of His Holy Spirit...and not shoving it aside because it doesn't seem "practical" or it looks "foolish". It's okay to say "I don't take credit for _________________ (Insert gift or talent here). It's what God is working out in me so that I can be the person He created me to be."

It's that simple. God is given the praise. I don't know about you, but I don't ever want the rocks to have to cry out in my place. (see Luke 19:28-40) I'm even beginning to think that when we don't acknowledge how God has gifted us, that is more evidence of pride than anything.

Is it not selfishness and pride that would cause us to deny gratefulness and thankfulness for God's gifts to us?

So here's where I'm at in my processing of this question, What makes me feel alive? Well, obviously, I feel most alive when I am doing, saying and living out the gifts God has innately programmed me to have. My continued existence is proof that there is still something He has left for me to do for His Kingdom that is on Earth as it is in Heaven.

I'm tired of being deceived by my Enemy into somehow believing that it's prideful to want to live out these gifts. I am, quite frankly, exhausted at shoving these gifts to the periphery of my life when God's Spirit keeps trying to draw them out to the forefront, which is precisely where they should be. It's a spiritual "tug of war" that I didn't even realize I was waging until this past month.

It's time, my friends! 

Time to start coming alivelive out the Vision God has for your life and to stop apologizing for it! Augustine is quoted as saying, "The glory of God is man fully alive." We all keep saying with our mouths that we just want to glorify God...I think it's about time our lives looked like it too!

Are you ready?

Go!


No comments:

Post a Comment