Friday, February 7, 2014

The Only Question That Matters

I am almost nauseous as I write this post. It's the same feeling I had when I first learned of the proposed debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham. I have tried to avoid any commentary in any form on the internet, and I've told only a couple of people who know me best how I felt about the debate. I know that putting my "opinion" out there will no doubt alienate some faction of people I call friends.

I have very far left and very far right friends and I think that this article summed up best how the polar opposites are not where a vast majority of people fall. I am part of that section of the general populous. I fall at neither extreme on the continuum.

Yet, I know many people who view all things as black or white that will find me "wishy washy" or "noncommittal" or worst of all "afraid to stand up for what you believe". But actually, this post is my version of "standing up". That's precisely why I'm a little nauseous. 

I don't want to be attacked or alienated any more than the next guy. Miscommunication and misunderstandings abound on both sides of this issue and I do not wish to contribute to the foray. 

Yet...there was something that came about as a result of the debate that I felt compelled to address. If you look at my blogging for today, you will see that this is the third post for this date. Honestly, the first two were just a tactic to avoid this one. Yes, I'm sort of a wimp and I don't relish the comments I know that could result from this post.

But here's what I know: There were two articles after the debate that sparked something in me that just has to be addressed...if for no one else's sake than my own.

The first was entitled 22 Messages from Creationists to People Who Believe in Evolution. I even know one of the ladies in one of the photos and I love her dearly. I saw the article posted to her Facebook wall. That's how some of my friends lean to the right. 

The second article was entitled Answers for Creationists. And yes, this article was posted by one of my friends, among many, that lean to the left.

Here was my thought after reading the first article: If I had been there and had been given the chance to pose such a question, what would I have asked?

This is what immediately came to mind:




After all...isn't this the only question that begs asking?

Isn't this what the entire Bible is asking us to come to terms with?

Isn't this the question that as believers in a Messiah that died so that each of us might have life...and a life that is whole and complete in Him...the primary and essential question that we should ask of everyone?

But sadly, when we focus on what separates us from one another...the One thing we all have in common gets scuttled off to the fringes. The One thing that should be our absolute heartbeat, becomes an annotation to a footnote of an index in the margins. The One Person we should be carrying forth before us and shining out to the nations becomes a dim glimmer of the Hope we were commanded to give to a lost and dying world.

To be fair, I did not watch any of the debate, even though it took place less than five miles from my home. Frankly, I didn't want to risk a lowered opinion of either side. So for all I know, Ken Ham spent three hours telling the world that God loves them ferociously and went to the point of dying on a cross so that He could have relationship with each of us. And if he did...then kudos to him! But for myself...and only speaking for myself...the platform that I am commanded to stand upon is One of Love...Absolute Love.

That is my starting point. There is no other platform upon which I care to stand. [Again...I speak for myself only!]

So call me wishy-washy or non-committal because from your perspective it may be true. But now...after having fought through the nauseousness and overcoming my fear and as soon as I push the "Publish" button...no matter how trepidacious I may be about doing it...no one can say I don't stand up for what I believe.

I just did!



1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that that needs to be the primary question but I also think there were some great purposes and reasons for this debate. I wasn't too much feeling like watching it that night but Chase was super interested after having been being encouraged all week at school by his science teacher and the discussions they had about it. I'm so glad that I did watch it and I could very easily post a blog update in why I thought it was important and why even though there may be soooo many more waaaaay smarter Christians than Ken Ham out there apparently who could've done a waaaaaay better job at it according to them anyway (sarcasm intended), he actually (in my opinion) did a phenomenal job of sharing a very clear Gospel message at least twice -which is seemingly what the whole thing was about to him anyway - and handled the whole thing with much grace and stature. Whatever the reasons that either one of them had for doing it and whether someone is a Christian that believes in the 6 day literal or not, one of the most important things I believe that it did (next to clearly sharing Hope) with millions of people is that it at least brought a platform and a light to the subject -let many people know that there are other explanations out there to be sought out, and made a lot of people at least give thought to the idea that maybe, just maybe, they were created by Someone who loves them very much and maybe, they will start to seek Him out because of it. It also, gave my kid a chance to see that it is OK for us to question things and for other people to have opinions and be able to discuss them in a respectful manner (more than I can say for a lot of other Christians out there the next day) and he was able to witness a man who obviously dearly loves God and His Word, stand up for his beliefs and share that love with someone who was ardently opposed to them. I don't say this all in any way to condemn you for not watching ...just to say in my opinion it was needed and that I think God will do a lot of great things through it and I really do think that your primary question was raised ....the whole reason for the debate...and answered. I never felt like it was a heated argument of any sorts, just two guys talking about why they believe what they do. Sorry for the novel length comment lol -believe it or not, this was me trying to keep it short! There's a lot more I could say about it but you would've had to have watched it. Love you and proud of you for putting your thoughts out there! More than I have done :)

    ReplyDelete