Saturday, August 27, 2011

Gonna Brag on God a Little

I’ve been learning that I should praise God for Who He is and not what He does…but He just did some really cool stuff…and I feel like I need to brag on Him a little bit!
If you read my blog this morning,  I Needed This One Today,  you know I needed a little extra “oomph” of faith to get me out the door and hit the pavement to solicit donations from area businesses. I fervently prayed before I went that God would give me courage, His Holy Spirit give me His power, energy and the words to clearly express this need and to confidently ask for contributions from these businesses.
One more added blessing was I took along our youngest, Leah (8), who already has a heart for service and ministry so she got to watch this whole thing transpire. Yesterday and today both I kept having an overwhelming urge to go to a local pizza place, Hebron Brew Haus, first. Guess what? There was a reason why.
First, I met the owner, Amy, and she listened politely as I told her they could donate food for when we “Break the Fast” at 4 p.m. on September 11th at our clubhouse. I also told her we’d like area businesses to donate gift certificates/cards or free items to be given out through a drawing to anyone that stops by the clubhouse on 9/11 and gives us a donation or does their own 24-Hour Famine and drops off the money they raised. Or she could let us put a jar for change on their counter so customers could throw loose change in it. Woohoo! She wanted to do all three!!!
You won’t be surprised to learn that this bolstered my faith all the more to start hitting up the next few places…and here’s what we came away with:
Hebron Brew Haus- 4 large pizzas for us to “Break the Fast” on 9/11; gift certificates for prizes; change jar prominently placed on their cash register counter
Wendy’s Hamburgers- Promise to have something together (either commitment for food on 9/11 or gift cards) when I check back on Monday, 8/29
Penn Station- Commitment to give us gift cards on Monday, 8/29
Papa John’s Pizza- Commitment to give us gift cards on Monday, 8/29
Palm Beach Tan- Commitment to give us gift cards and/or free products on Monday or Tuesday; checking with district manager if change jar on cash register counter is okay
PLUS, I got the names and schedules of managers/owners at China Wok, El Mariachi, Hebron Grille, Great Clips and Beef O’Brady’s
This is GOOD stuff and it’s only on our side of the road and not even all of the businesses!
So what’s in it for them? Their names as sponsors will go on every flyer we put on each of the apartment doors in our complex. Yesterday, our manager gave us approval for that AND, if you're local and you visit any of these establishments over the weekend, tell them thanks for considering support for this 24-Hour Famine.  After I have the items in hand, I’ll post it on the blog so you can tell them “Thanks” for their definite support!
Why such an long epistle? Because our God is worthy of praise for doing what He said He would do.
“Host a 24-hour famine, Angela”
“Okay, God, how will this work?”
“I’ll take care of it, you just listen and obey.”
Also, maybe my excitement will be infectious and you, your family, your cell group, your office, your classroom or whomever is in your inner circle will catch the vision for feeding starving children as well. If you participate in the 24-hour Famine, let us know so we can make room for you at the table on 9/11 when we "Break the Fast". And if you’re collecting money, keep track of donors that don’t want to remain anonymous…they can and will be entered in the drawings if the money is received by 5 p.m. on Sunday, September 11th…plus, you get your name entered for raising funds too!
Jehovah Jireh…He is the God Who Will See To It! Jump in…and let’s watch what He does together!
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment