Saturday, August 6, 2011

Some More Praise!

I've been updating the Prayer Requests Page with answers to prayer as God continues to provide. But here are just a few of the many highlights from this week. Forgive me if I'm being repetitious, this is what's on my heart to share today.

God has provided some parking and gas money for our family to take a mom and her family to a Reds game with us. The free passes are going to get put to use without costing her family any money from their budget. This may seem like a tiny thing...but it is H-U-G-E! It's huge because the donation came from another single mom! Yep, I'm weepy just thinking about how when God calls us in our limited means to give beyond what we can, His blessings (and potential!) are unlimited.

I'd recently posted about A Few Little Things and Holy Spirit has been speaking to me about giving Him all of my concerns...especially the little things. Now, I've started reading In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day (thanks Susan T. for the recommendation!) and author Mark Batterson says the same thing...only more eloquently:

"[The story of the floating ax head] ranks as one of my favorite miracles in Scripture for a couple reasons. First, this isn't a life-or-death situation. Yes, it's a borrowed ax head, Yes, he lost it. But if that is the worst thing that's ever happened to you, you've led a pretty sheltered life. You know what I'm saying? It's an ax head. This may sound crazy, but doesn't it seem like maybe you ought to save an amazing miracle like this for a little bigger tragedy?...But I think this reveals something about God. He cares about the little things like wedding receptions (John 2) and borrowed ax heads (2 Kings 6). God is great not just because nothing is too big for Him. God is great but because nothing is too small for Him either."

Another little, but big thing, was that once again, in a few ways we never expected, God has provided for us. We've received a gift, I sold a few things on eBay (they didn't bring a lot, but even a little is good!) and Dale received an unexpected pay raise this week. After we paid rent, we thought we'd be tapped out for 2 weeks...but all the monthly insurances will be paid, a little gas got put in the car, I could get a few items at the grocery and we can have some friends over for dinner without worrying about how we're going to feed them (without subjecting them to our unusual, mostly vegan diet! Ha!)...God has provided for it all!

Probably the most significant miracle out of all of this is how God has changed my perspective. A few years ago, an extra $125 wouldn't have seemed that big of a deal. In fact, I probably would have just used it on pursuing my own pleasures...a movie, eating out, a "toy" we didn't need. And while none of those things are necessarily wrong, they are now much less important or even desired by me. When you don't have anything to spare, this amount of money is huge and you learn to make the most of it.

See...the little things become huge and for God the huge things are little. His Way turns our limited wisdom upside down, doesn't it?  "Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men." (I Corinthians 1:25)

Not to mention, when I see Him faithfully and continually provide for everything...and I mean everything...then when He lays a desire on my heart that seems insurmountably enormous in my mind, I can with absolute confidence say, "Okay, Lord...in Your timing and in Your way, I know You will do this. In the meantime, I will praise You for the anticipation of seeing this fulfilled!"

Lay it all out there before Him...the huge and the seemingly insignificant. As you get to know Him better, you will see your desires change. You will see Him give you His desires and some of them will be surprises you never even dreamed of considering.

Mentioned in this post:

No comments:

Post a Comment