Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Few "Little" Things

But there are no little things with God are there? No concern of ours is so little that it goes unnoticed by Him. I love it when He gives me guidance and direction and answers even in what may seem absolutely inconsequential to others. He's my Daddy (Abba) so just like we do with our children...the things that matter to us...matter to Him. Period!

Thing 1: We have a countertop water distiller. It requires a carbon filter to work effectively. These filters last about 60 days. Our last filter on exactly the 60th day, you could tell the water tasted funny...more of a tap water taste. On the 14th of July, ours should have needed to be changed...but we didn't have the money to order more. So I prayed for it to last a little longer...and it has! Praise God!

In fact, I ordered more last Friday (a year's supply actually) because we now had the money. They should be here within the next few days. With no kids at home for the week, even if the water starts tasting funny at this point, we probably have enough to last Dale and I until the filters arrive.

Sounds like coincidence right? I think not! You see, my Daddy knows how important it is to me to not put all of that chlorine, flouride, and yes, junk (you should see what comes out in the distiller...yuck!) into my body. He has told me my body is His temple in which He inhabits during my time on earth. So yeah, it matters to Him.

Thing 2: We were headed out of town for the weekend and were going to be gone about 48 hours. Not a big deal right? Well, potted plants in 90+ degree weather don't fair very well. In fact, I've been watering them twice (and sometimes three times) daily. I know, I know, ask someone to water them. Good idea, except I feel a bit awkward knocking on my neighbors' door and saying, 'Hi! I know we've only introduced ourselves and said hello to each other, but would you commit to watering my plants twice daily for the next two days?'

And I could just hope for the best, but when I planted these tomato and pepper plants, I began praying over them. I told God that He knew they could provide food for us, so to please make them strong and healthy and give us a great harvest. These plants have grown like crazy. In fact, the photos you see below do not include the almost double amount of branches and leaves that I've trimmed over the last two months in an attempt to get the nutrients to the fruit of the plant.


Then last Friday when asking God what to do, Holy Spirit reminded me of three frozen jugs of water in our freezer. I'd been using them to help the freezer run more efficiently (a little Tightwad Gazette lady trick I learned years ago!). He even helped me visualize poking holes in the bottom of the jugs. You've seen that automatic glass plant waterer advertised on TV, right? Well, God helped me make my own! And apparently, it worked! As the water melted, the plants were kept hydrated and I have a bounty of Roma tomatoes (small, yet delicious) that I get to share with one of my single mom friends today!

I know the plants don't look that great in the photos, but I just snapped these at about 1:00 p.m. in the heat of the day. And yes, I've had to get creative "staking" them in an apartment setting. God even provided me with the perfect outdoor plant shelf with that ugly yellow and green Canada Dry one. Back in the spring I tried to think of how to elevate all of the pots off of the hot concrete because I'd had unsuccessful patio gardening in the past due to the way concrete retains heat. My faithful Abba reminded me of this shelf...and just a side note...I've had this shelf about 30 years! My dad was a lifelong Kroger employee and used to bring stuff like this display shelf home on occasion. This shelf has been with me through college and every move Dale and I have made together. What a priceless blessing it has been this summer (and for the last three decades too!).

So don't try to tell me that God doesn't care about the small stuff...that we should only take the big stuff to Him...that we should "do our best and let God do the rest"...that's a bunch of hooey! He's the God of our every concern! And He delights in our telling Him about those concerns all day...every day! Bless His Name...He's just that good of a Father to us!
Amen!

1 comment:

  1. I am SO needed to be reminded of God's ability to take care of EVERYTHING. Gees, how quickly I forget and then have trouble trusting Him with the big and little things. This is a reminder that I'm not running to Him enough.
    ~J

    ReplyDelete