Thursday, July 21, 2011

In the Cool of the Day

We're told that at least on one occasion, God walked in the Garden of Eden. Genesis 3:8a says, "They heard the sound of  the LORD God walking in the garden in the  cool of the day"

This is actually the beginning of the confrontation between God, Adam and Eve regarding their sin and the consequences that would be the unfortunate result of their disobedience. But I like to imagine that we really don't know how long Adam and Eve lived in Eden before they fell, so perhaps this was just a matter of routine for God. Can you envision working in a perfect garden all day long, and then discussing the day with the Almighty...getting His perspective, His challenges for growth in your life, His loving chastisement if needed? Doesn't that sound like, well...Eden?!

For several weeks, I've been trying to get in more of a habit of reflecting on the day with God. Giving Him the praise for what He has done and where He's leading. This comes from  Psalm 63 , what Beth Moore refers to as a Biblical example of what a crucified life looks like...constantly seeking the will of God and not our own.

In verse 6, David 'remembers God on his bed.' But quite frankly, by the time I'm to that point, I'm pretty much brain-dead. So I end up either reading a book or watching a documentary on Netflix. Then as I'm dozing, I'll attempt to give God some semblance of recognition to Him for all He's done in my day. Yet, I've had this yearning for more...it's just not quite been enough to satisfy.

Yesterday morning as I was thinking through this and praying for the desire for more reflection each day, I felt His loving Spirit calling me to come walk with Him "in the cool of the day." That's it! Go for a walk after dinner, when the sun is setting, take my iPod Shuffle and just dwell on Him and all that's happened.

I was determined...even in 95 degree heat, I kept prioritizing my day to get this opportunity later in the evening. After dinner, I knew the dishes could wait...my God was calling me to come walk with Him "in the cool of the day."

It was only about 20 minutes...but probably the best spent 20 minutes of my day. I've often thought Holy Spirit has a finger on my iPod Shuffle, and now I'm convinced of it! The first song as I headed out of our complex was Monk & Neagle's Sweep Me Away (Best I could do was find the lyrics!). You can see from the lyrics why this song would mean so much to me.

Next Holy Spirit reminded me of one of my favorite quotes:  "I don't want my life to be explainable without the Holy Spirit. I want people to look at my life and know that I couldn't be doing this by my own power. I want to live in such a way that I am desperate for Him to come through. That if He doesn't come through, I am screwed." --Francis Chan, Forgotten God

Holy Spirit added, "That's exactly the life you're living Angela. You're desperate for Me to come through. I have to come through or you are screwed. I'll come through...just wait." The song that began playing on my iPod at precisely this moment? Help Me Live by Tim Davis That's it...be a living sacrifice and wait for Him to come through.

As I pondered this, I replayed a conversation Dale and I had just had and I said, "Okay, God. You're going to come through...but I can't see what You're doing. What do I do in the meantime?"

The next song to play on my iPod at exactly the right time? Draw Me Nearer [The version I have is by Diane Sheets. It's beautiful, but I can't find it anywhere on the web.] Again, I thought of Beth Moore's word picture of cling wrap...I'm clinging to You, God! Draw me nearer to Your cross!

Rejoicing in what He was speaking to my heart, I was overwhelmed by the next song, Till I See You
Oh...He's good! "I will live to love You!" That's my job in all of this. Just be a living sacrifice, draw nearer, live to love Him. Once again, He was giving me exactly the wisdom and words I needed at exactly the right time!

And as I rounded the corner and headed home, He couldn't leave out Sara Groves. Someone in my life for whom I was carrying a heavy burden came to mind and as I contemplated words I could say or something I could just "do" to help them, God's wisdom through her song began to play in my ears, Loving a Person [The visuals are of couples, but this song applies to any relationship!]

Then I was home. Yeah, I was a little sweaty. There had been a good breeze, but not much of a "cool of the day". What was interesting to me though was that I went out with the intent of thanking and giving glory to the One who'd shown His love to me throughout the day. What I came home with was a heart overflowing with even more to contemplate, praise Him and thank Him for.

He really does give more than we could ever give Him and it might just all start with taking a walk with Him "in the cool of the day."

No comments:

Post a Comment