Wednesday, July 13, 2011

"Triage: Dr. James Orbinski's Humanitarian Dilemma"

I recently watched this documentary  on Netflix and I'm still processing through it a few weeks later. Praise the Lord, most of us will never know devastation on the scale of Somalia, Rwanda, or the Congo. But for some in our world it is an everyday occurrence.

This movie is about a doctor who was formerly with Doctors Without Borders that went into each of these nations while the bloody civil war and/or genocide was taking place. At great peril to himself and the others with whom he worked, he did what he could to help the people suffering through these tragedies that the rest of us allowed to happen. To this day, Dr. Orbinski grieves over the inhumanity and senselessness of it all.

I don't know why I'm compelled to watch documentaries like this. I hate the news because it's so bloody, violent and hopeless. But for me, documentaries put a human face and often describe the accompanying emotion that somehow renders these horrific acts more...well, human.

Ultimately, I think I watch them out of an awareness and a desire to teach our children that while we focus on God and we can count on the fact that He is good, there may come a time when we are called to step up amidst great personal sacrifice and risk of life to be that one that proclaims hope and healing to a sometimes brutal world.

No comments:

Post a Comment