Tuesday, July 26, 2011

"The Adjustment Bureau"

Over the weekend, I had the chance to see this movie that I've wanted to see for some time. It's not a new storyline...fate vs. free will [After all, LOST spent something like 7 seasons asking this same question!]. But the way this plays out is worth the watch.

You may recall from a previous post (Weightlessness), that Matt Damon is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. I've also seen Emily Blunt in a few movies (The Young Victoria, Sunshine Cleaning, The Devil Wears Prada and The Jane Austen Book Club) and I've enjoyed all of the performances I've seen.


Don't want to give away a lot of the plot, but this story did resonate with me for one big reason. While I don't believe "The Chairman" has ever taken away our free will, you only need to look back through some of my last month's posts to see that I'm beginning to recognize that I want to be right on track in His "Master plan" The idea that when I stray, He's there to "nudge" me back in the right direction is a great assurance...not leaving me with the feeling that I'm somehow a puppet in some cosmic play, but rather He's the Father gently bringing me back to the place where He's always intended me to be.

If you have some time, check it out. While you may not want to think through the overarching theme of Calvinism vs. Arminianism, it just might get your creative thought processes asking some questions about exactly how much does free will guide our circumstances...or do we have a lot less choice than we've deceived ourselves into believing we have? I know...sort of a chicken and the egg debate, but some good exercise for your brain nonetheless!

Mentioned in this post:




No comments:

Post a Comment