Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I Owe Abbey an Apology

It's taken a few days for me to become aware of a HUGE mistake I made recently with my 15 year old. Abbey has been watching as God has been working in our family and in my life. She even told me this past week to quit bragging...but I quickly pointed out that I'm bragging on God and not myself, thus, it's okay to brag about what He's doing. Funny thing was...I was so focused on what He has been doing in my life that I completely missed an opportunity to brag on Him for what He's done in Abbey's.

This past weekend Abbey's friend's family asked her if she'd like to go see "Wicked" with them when it comes to town in November. She was more than excited. She loves Broadway musicals and has wanted to see "Wicked" for awhile now. Then, she found out they're getting better seats than we've ever been able to get to a show, so her excitement just keeps going up exponentially. [Did I mention that they'll also be seeing the show exactly one week before her 16th birthday? Kinda cool, huh?]

Now while all of this is amazing and totally worthy of praise to God for providing such a fun gift, this morning Holy Spirit whispered something to my heart that just makes it even more awesomely amazing...don't know if awesomely is a word, but it is now!

Actually, what He brought to mind was a memory...a very vivid memory...of Abbey walking into my room about two to three weeks ago and blurting out something like, "Do you think God would be okay with us asking Him to go see Wicked?"

I wish I could tell you I said, "Wow honey! That's a great idea...ask Him and if He gives you the confidence that He'd like for you to keep asking...then go for it." But to tell the truth, I don't even remember what I said. I just have this feeling that it was more like, 'With all of the other things we need, do you think it should be a priority for us to pray for that?'

Yes, I am adequately ashamed of my lack of faith!

What I saw as a frivolous expense...God saw as a opportunity to "Wow!" my daughter. And as I sit here duly chastened it occurs to me that the Broadway musical thing has always been something that she and I have shared together. Maybe if I'd had enough faith to ask with her we could have shared this one too. But at the same time I'm thrilled that God raised up someone else to provide this blessing for Abbey...wow!...what a gift! What a blessing! What a God!

He knows...better than anyone...that these kids are watching absolutely everything He is doing in our lives and our family. He knows that I'm telling them it's okay...in fact it's God-ordained...for us to chase lions. And He knows us inside out...our passions, desires, potential. And He delights in giving us wonderful gifts beyond anything we could ever ask or imagine.

So I owe Abbey an apology for not believing. And my prayer is the next time an opportunity arises to increase my children's faith I become swiftly aware of it and trust Holy Spirit's discernment and guidance for how to pray.

Wow! What a lesson, not just for me. But also what a gift to at just 15 years old to be able to know that your Abba (Daddy) loves you so much He'll throw a Broadway musical ticket your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment