Tuesday, August 23, 2011

God's Faithfulness


"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law." (Galatians 5:22-23)

I've been learning about God's faithfulness the last few days. His lessons are always timely, but as He has begun to lay lion-sized projects out before me...I'll admit...to be reminded of His faithfulness is very comforting.

The first thing I learned about God's faithfulness is "In a nutshell, faithfulness is believing the reality of a sovereign God." (Beth Moore, Living Beyond Yourself) This is not believing my reality...but God's. It's not projecting myself (wants, desires, good ideas, plans, etc.) on to Him...it's researching His Word, conversing with Him through prayer constantly, allowing Him to open my eyes to His promises, His ways...who He is...and not allowing satan to deceive me into believing God is someone or something that He never said He was or is. This is His reality...not mine!

This isn't easy. From day one, we have expectations, histories, environmental circumstances, cultural ideas and agendas that are thrust upon us not of our own choosing. It can take years or even decades for God to peel back all of this to get to the heart of becoming who He created us to be. One example...did you go to college right out of high school because you absolutely knew that was God's plan for your life? You prayed extensively about it and it completely resonated within you that this was God's absolute best for you when you graduated. Or did you go to college becasue that's what was expected by parents, teachers and friends...or even just because it's what everyone else was doing? Maybe God's reality for me was to serve in the Peace Corps for a year, then get some experience in entry level jobs for a few years to learn my passions and what I'm good at so I could know if and what college education I should receive.

Just a thought!

But the point is when our desire is to live in God's reality...we have to question everything we've ever been taught about societal norms and expectations...yes, question everything!

The second lesson is that Holy Spirit can begin to grow His fruit of faithfulness in me only as I believe in God's. "Faithfulness is resting in His certainty, being persuaded by His honesty, trusting in His reality, being won over by his veracity...being sure that He's sure and believing he's worth believing." (Living Beyond Yourself) Amen! I can be faithful to God's calling in my life because I can trust that He is certain, He is honest, I can trust His reality...His veracity ("habitual observance of truth" yep...I had to look up the definition!)

And then yesterday, I learned the third lesson, which for me was the most profound. Revelation 4:11 "Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created.” (emphasis mine) I know I have heard of "God's will for your life" and daily ask Holy Spirit to help me surrender my will to submit to His...but I'm not sure I've ever comprehended exactly what that means. Honestly, I think I've just thought it meant His way. I need to let Him have His way in my life. And while that's not inaccurate...it is a lot more.

"The Greek word translated as will is thelema which is 'not to be conceived as a demand, but as an expression or inclination of pleasure towards that which is liked, that which pleases and creates joy...it signifies His gracious disposition toward something. Used to designate what God Himself does of His own good pleasure.'" (Living Beyond Yourself) So God created all things...including me...as "an expression or inclination of pleasure". This isn't exactly a new thought but another thought did Wow! me.

If I'm created for His pleasure then why would I ever allow worry, doubt, fear, trouble, negativity, criticism, bitterness or stress to consume me? Does it please God when I allow satan to thwart God's reality in me through the use of these tactics? The obvious answer is No! I can't ever imagine a time when it would be in the realm (the reality!) of God's pleasure for me to be burdened down carrying any of these emotions. So how do I not give into them?...check myself back into God's reality...not my own.

My reality might be that the bills are late getting paid...my children are driving me batty with fighting and nastiness...my spouse and I may be at each others' throats...I may feel like a failure...I may have actually even failed through sin. But God's reality is to turn all of this over to Him and let Him figure it all out and show me how He would have me respond to each. Sounds a lot more peaceful doesn't it? And yes, one of the aspects of the Spirit's fruit is peace (see Galatians 5:22-23 above!).

But praise His awesome Name...He went a little further to drive this all into my head and heart a little bit further. He gave me a verse in 2 Corinthians that I can take to the bank. [I've added secondary meanings to words or cross-references from my Bible in brackets and parentheses]

"But as God is faithful (true), our word to you is not yes and no. For...Jesus...was not yes and no, but is yes [Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever"] in Him (God). For as many (numerous) as are the promises of God, in Him (Jesus) they are yes; therefore also through Him (Jesus) is our Amen (so be it) to the glory (true character of God) of God through us. Now He who establishes (confrms) us with you in Christ and anointed us is God, who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit (Holy Spirit) in our hearts as a pledge (down payment)." (2 Corinthians 1:18-22)

What the heck does this mean??? If, like me, you need to read it through a few times...maybe I can save you a little brain power by sharing what Holy Spirit put together in my heart.

#1- God is True!
#2- Because of Jesus, God's yes is yes...never no. He's not wishy-washy in other words.
#3- Because Jesus never changes, if He said it 2000 or even 5000 years ago, it's still true (yes) today!
#4- God's promises are too numerous to count and in Jesus, those promises are always yes (true)!
#5- Because of #1-#4, Jesus is the Amen (the "so be it" because you know it's true) to all of those promises which make the true character (the glory) of God shine out of our lives.
#6- Because God wants us (his followers) to look more like Him (#5), He anoints us (covers and sets us aside) to be confirmed (established) in Jesus.
#7- The seal(distinguishing marker that NO ONE can break open) that is set on us and given to us to remind us of all of this so we never have to doubt God is His Holy Spirit. And He puts right in our hearts so we're never without Him.
#8- This is yet another promise (pledge) of God's and you can put a down payment on it!

Just let this wash over you for a few minutes and ask Him to show you the promises in your life that you can absolutely go to the bank on that He will always say "yes" to. For me, it's His Love, His provision, His discipling (teaching), His mercy, His grace and I'm even learning that He won't lay a desire on my heart and help me stand firm in it unless there's a "yes" to go along with it. That's how I knew (and could go to the spiritual bank on) that He would give us a mini-vacation this summer (see Why Is God so Good to Us?). That's how I know each month even though things are tight, we will have food and clothing (Matthew 6:33). That's why I know His Spirit is always working in the lives of those who love and believe Him (John 3:8). And the biggie for me right now...I know that's why He would not lay upon my heart the plan and passion for the 24-hour Famine (see Event Page and  the Big Announcement) or Boundless Ministries or the events/service opportunites that go along with this minstry to single moms (Events Page) or even the desire to pray more and for the first time in my life passionately intercede for others (see Prayer Requests Page) if He was just going to eventually say "NO!" in the long-run.

Nope! As His desires, His passions, His will, His pleasures become mine, there' a big 'ol "Yes!" coming my way...and I can go to the bank on that!

Mentioned in this post:

No comments:

Post a Comment