Saturday, December 18, 2010

Some Good Conversations

I'm amazed at how my daughter is growing. So many times now she doesn't speak like a child, but rather the adult that is emerging. From day one, I knew my goal as a parent was to raise the children God gave us into responsible, productive adults. And I prayed they would love God too. But whether they accepted Him or not, they had to become adults.

So I talked to my children as adults from the beginning...probably to a fault some would say. But 15 years later, even knowing this would happen, it catches me off-guard sometimes when she says something so grown up, so mature.

This past week she brought up some very valid points about some things that I've also been struggling with. It seems I'm not the only one in our family whose heart's cry is for closer community...better relationships. And some of the things she said to me where observant and mature, without being condemning. She was truly seeking some answers, expressing her frustration and yet open to the possibility that maybe there was something for her to learn in the situation.

Granted, she's still a teenager and a lot of what concerns her is very ego-centric. But given that she's only 15 and already gets that a life with God is all about relationships...well, she's already 20 years ahead of where I started!

No comments:

Post a Comment