Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Intercession

There are two verses in Romans that I've heard several times and never quite put together that they're within the same passage. It seems I've always heard them in the context of two separate sermons or discussions...but they're only eight verses apart. Being in such close proximity to one another, started me thinking.

The first verse is Romans 8:26b, "...for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words..."

Over the years, there have been many (sometimes I think too many) times when I've clung to this verse just hoping it was true. When I've felt that I would crack under the pressure of my life caving in all around me, this promise that the Holy Spirit, who knows better than I do exactly how I need to pray, takes up the burden of praying for me. When all I could do was groan and moan and cry out "Abba, I need You!" the Holy Spirit takes up my cause, knows what I need, when I need it and precisely how it should be delivered. That gives me immense comfort when I only have the strength to get out of bed and nothing more.

And the second verse is found just a few lines away in Romans 8:34b, "Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us."

There are so many observations I have about this, I almost don't know where to begin. This is one of those moments where if I were an animated character, I'd have a bubble over my head with a lightbulb in it. But actually, if feels more like a key to a locked door just opened up a whole new place in my brain. Sort of like the Wardrobe that leads to Narnia...there's a whole new world, just waiting to be discovered!

Basically, I'm still processing through this. But I had to blog it right away so I wouldn't forget that even though my finite, human mind can't process how the triune Godhead is 3-in-1...2 out of the 3 are mentioned in this passage as "rooting" for me. Does that sound to crass? Does it sound like I'm taking away the mystique, the awe and the holiness of the Trinity? "May it not be so!" (Yes, I'm still knee-deep in Romans. Your version might say "By no means!")

But They are interceding for me.

I found two definitions on dictionary.com for intercede.
  1. to act or interpose in behalf of someone in difficulty or trouble, as by pleading or petition
  2. to attempt to reconcile differences between two people or groups; mediate

Both of these give me great comfort in knowing that the Holy Spirit and Jesus are pleading to God for me...attempting to reconcile the differences between He and I. And I'm not a Greek scholar, but I would just about bet that these verbs in the original text are probably present, active tense. Again, I can't verify this, but just knowing the character of Jesus and the Holy Spirit, I don't think this is a one-time deal. I believe They are continually interceding for me because I fall so short of the person that God created me to be.

Now, I am greatly comforted (and inspired!) to know that 2 out of 3 members of the Trinity are "pulling" for me...helping me as I stumble through the darkness of sin...trying to do the right thing...but so heavily influenced by the culture I live in, the way I was raised, the things that have happened to me that were out of my control and the enemy that is trying to trip me up every step of the way. And They are cheering me on! I know, cheering is a cultural context I'm placing on the Scripture. But can't you almost see them, standing before the Judge as I venture on this journey asking God for exactly the things I need to help me learn and follow His will and pleading for forgiveness when I miss the mark (which I often do!)?

And if 2 of the 3 are pleading, mediating, interceding for me, doesn't it stand to reason that the Third one must be also? I'm not really making a leap here. I hear in our culture so many references to God being the big, angry, get-even kind of God...similar to the Zeus we all learned about in mythology. So many people feel like He's just waiting to smite us when we "happen" to make a wrong choice. But if Jesus and Holy Spirit are pulling for us...wouldn't God also?

Now, granted, this letter was written to Roman Christ-followers so I'm not going to make this a blanket, universal statement for all mankind. But for those who trust their eternal salvation to Jesus and are attempting to follow His will and example, doesn't it just make sense that God isn't trying to trip us up when He allows us to be tempted or when He permits trials to come our way. Shouldn't it be just a small leap to make to understand that everything that has been filtered by Him and made it's way to us is for our good? I know it doesn't seem like that when you can barely get out of bed because life is overwhelming you to the point of despair. But can we allow ourselves to hope that since Jesus and the Holy Spirit are pleading for us, God must be "pulling" for us also? Definitely!

I was so struck by verses 26 and 34 that I skimmed right over another verse that I've heard preached in yet a third context. It seems I've always heard these each preached/discussed separately...I hate to say...almost out of context. Yes, each can provide great comfort individually but put them all together and WOW! the beauty of God's perfection and awesome, unfathomable love eek out of the pages of my Bible!

Do you know what verse is sandwiched between verse 26 where the Holy Spirit pleads for us in ways we can't even know or express and verse 34 where Jesus stands at the right hand of God mediating for us? Probably the verse that sums up everything I just wrote best...(Romans 8:31) "What then shall we say of these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?"

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment