Friday, November 18, 2011

Follow Up on the Purple Ba

If you're thoroughly confused and don't know what a "Purple Ba" is...you need to read my previous post, Two Not So Simple Questions. But I just wanted to give some closure to this great gift my daughter was willing to give in an effort to do "Whatever it takes."

I washed her blanket (Purple Ba) and Noah's quilt as well and was planning to take them with us when we volunteered at LifeLine Ministries last night. To be honest, yesterday it did cross my mind to ask her if she was certain this was what she wanted to do...but I kept my mouth shut and proceeded as planned. I laundered the blankets, folded them and had them laying on our bed, ready to go.

And then about 30 minutes before we left, I saw her lay her head down on my bed...on her blanket. I didn't want her to second guess her decision, so I just asked if she was trying to get one last cuddle with her blanket...she said yes. Well, she took a few more "drags"...for lack of a better word...and I was beginning to get concerned. One of her siblings even came in and was sort of questioning why she would give this away when it is so special to her. Her reply made it sound like it was no big deal.

Then right before we left, I headed out of my room to get a bag to carry the blankets in...but she thought I was leaving and yelled after me..."Mommy, don't forget to take my blanket."...so I knew all was good...and this was the right choice for her.

I know it doesn't make sense why we would give up our most valued treasure to serve God, or even why He would ask us to. But He gave His best and His all for us...I pray that when He asks, I can do the same.

And final update: Two of the three clients I interviewed at LifeLine last night asked for blankets and sheets. One man had just moved into a new apartment and has been sleeping on the floor with nothing underneath him. I don't think our blankets went out last night, because I know the servants at LifeLine sort through everything before it leaves. But I have prayed for these gifts of love from my kids to be used to keep someone warm and that God's glory and Love will be shared when they are given. I can have confidence that prayer will be answered.

1 comment: