Monday, November 28, 2011

Slumdog Millionaire


I know this movie has been out a few years. I know it was very popular when it originally came out. I also know it received the Oscar for Best Picture. But more than this, my original memory and emotions I experienced still stuck with me when I watched it again a few nights ago.

I remember sitting in the theatre with very few other patrons. I remember that I went to the movie by myself...because I just knew it would be the kind of movie I'd want to see by myself. But most of all, I remember being shocked, appalled and at times disgusted by the living conditions and utter chaos these children had to endure.

I mean, I could tell myself it was a fictitious story with a happy ending...but I just couldn't get past the images of that slum...that garbage dump...that "orphanage" that takes them in...and what they had to do to survive. Because no matter how much I told myself, 'It's just a movie'...I knew deep in my soul that these three fictional children represent millions more that really live in these types of conditions.

So a few nights ago, when I was looking for a movie to watch, I intentionally watched this movie to remind myself one more time that I have absolutely no reason to complain about anything in my life. Now I'm not one to believe in "happy accidents"...so to say that merely by happenstance or a simple accident of birth that could be me...doesn't comfort me. In fact, it challenges me even more. One of the major points David Platt makes in Radical is that because we have the privilege of knowing Jesus as Savior, we have the same responsibility to carry the knowledge of His saving Love to this lost and dying world.

As deeply disturbing as is the living conditions portrayed in this movie, if it is not even more deeply disturbing to me that more than a billion people living on this earth are living without ever having even heard the Name of Jesus...then I have to ask myself some serious questions about my faith.

I know, a fairly serious post regarding a movie that was probably filmed with just the intention of providing entertainment. Honestly though...I see more and more each day that God really isn't concerned with my entertainment...but He is concerned with what I do regarding the blessing of knowing Him that I've been given.


Mentioned in this post:


No comments:

Post a Comment