Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Quandry



As I've been praying and seeking God's wisdom regarding finances, possible future employment and some ministry opportunities coming up for our kids, I found myself frustrated over and over again with trying to figure it all out. Yes...I still haven't managed to relinquish my ability to plan and strategize my way out of anything.

A friend and I were even laughing about our common planning capabilities on Tuesday morning. But then she mentioned a Jesus Calling entry she'd recently read. The conviction that planning for every possibility can be an idol is something I honestly don't like to hear. I have shared on this blog before though that God has been leading me for some time to give up this "gift" that comes so naturally.

While copying down some verses in my Beth Moore study of Esther yesterday, I was comforted to be reminded that I don't have to figure out the "how".  You see, I'd forgotten already what I'd learned in Esther: "It's tough being a woman who feels responsible for the "how"

Moore shared scriptures that I wrote on some index cards when faced with the insurmountable task of figuring out the "how". The one applicable for me today is this: "For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust." (Psalm 103:14) He knows my frame. He knows how I feel completely "in the zone" when I'm home being a wife and mom, when I'm able to give full attention to homeschooling, when I'm able to have time to serve in ministry. (see First Day After Taxes)

Not only this, but He knows my passion to serve Him and my desire to afford our children and our entire family the opportunities to minister in the name of Jesus in our city, our state and our world. Amazingly enough, He also knows that this costs money...and nobody knows our utter dependence on Him for provision better than He.

Where would the money come from when anyone in our family wants to participate in a missions trip, leadership conference or even just having the gas to serve someone locally? Good question, right? I know we can solicit support from friends and family...but honestly...as much as we hunger to serve...we may wear out our welcome quickly. Some may begin to dread mail or calls from us...and that's not what we want. We're not afraid to solicit on behalf of the kids or for occasional trips, but what God is calling us to is so much bigger and we've got to start raising funds somewhere.

So there's been this idea bouncing around in my noggin for about a week or so. I even shared it with my friend Tuesday morning and my sister-in-law yesterday. They both thought it was a good idea and not that I need their approval, but sometimes confirmation that you're on the right path is nice to have.

Back to the "how"...God knows "how" I'm wired and He's given me certain gifts that I love to share with others. I'm excited He's putting this all together. Here's what we're going to do (drum roll please!):

I'd like to officially introduce Blessings from Baking!

This new blog will showcase the cookies, pies, cakes, breads and candies that we are selling in order to raise money for ministry. 100% of the profits will go toward ministry. 10% of that amount will be shared with Boundless Ministries which goes directly to serving single moms and their families. The other 90% will go toward mission trips, leadership conferences and ministry opportunities for anyone in our family. All of this fits perfectly within our goal of "Writing a Better Story!" I just said to my friend Tuesday that any time we are serving the deeply impoverished, either through a work day, Single Moms' Night Out, at the Henry Hosea house, sending our kids on a missions trip here or abroad, sponsoring a child through World Vision, serving at LifeLine ministries or Master Provisions, etc...we are falling within the boundaries of our desire to serve single moms. If you're serving the poor...you're mostly serving single moms.

So check out the new blog. I'll obviously post regular updates to it on here as well. It's brand new, so it will take some time to build our "offerings". My prayer is that when you venture that way, you'll notice the background. (I can't believe blogger offered an African slum as a background photo!)Divinely placed there for just this use, I hope it's a reminder to those who'd like to order to what purpose their purchases will contribute. It's a reminder to me of the calling to where God is leading and if baking is how we're going to get there...then Hallelujah! and Amen!

*****************************************************************************

End note- This new adventure will in no way distract us from our service through Boundless Ministries.  We will still accept donations as God provides them, but those donations are specifically earmarked for single moms. Monies earned through Blessings from Baking will be utilized as described above.

No comments:

Post a Comment