Monday, April 2, 2012

The Addams Family


I don't normally blog about the shows Abbey and I have ushered for, but this one was so well done, I just had to share!

Last Thursday night, at best I was hoping for funny. And because we've signed up to usher this show twice, I was really hoping for just bearable. I never was a fan of the original TV show and have never seen the movie with Raul Julia. But I was pleasantly surprised not only by the witty humor (yes, sometimes a bit ribald!) but also the excellent music, the fast pace that kept your attention, the superb vocal and acting ability (particularly of the actor portraying the patriarch of the Addams family, Gomez) and the amazing usage of staging, lighting and even makeup. All of this on a night when two of the main characters were even played by understudies.

While everything was above par, what fascinated me the most was the staging. Having a little drama background myself, this is one thing I often notice. Does it take too long to make set changes? Is there "dead space" or "dead air" while changes are taking place? Do you see too many stage hands while the changes are taking place?

Every touring Broadway performance I've seen in the last 10 years utilizes automatic wireless systems to move sets, props, etc. off and on stage. Honestly, I've been out of the drama loop so long I don't even know how they do it. What I do know as a member of the audience, is that if frequently takes my attention away from what's taking place onstage, no matter how unobtrusive they attempt to be. But what was over and above any show I've seen in this last decade was the Addams Family's ability to manipulate the downstage curtain to incorporate it into the exact amount of space needed for the scene. The curtain was not open completely for most of the performance. It would simply move to show the half, third or even quarter of the stage that was needed for that scene. Thus, characters could be in place when the curtain moved so time wasn't needed for them to walk off and on stage. This made the flow of the show seamless.

What I couldn't help thinking was that this would be a great first Broadway show for kids. Yes, there is some humor you hope would just go over their heads, but as far as keeping their attention and an easy to understand plot with catchy and upbeat music...this is definitely kid-friendlier than most. It's not Disney...but it's still fun!

From the first duh-duh-duh-duh (snap, snap!)....the audience was sold and never stopped laughing or clapping throughout. If you have some time and a little extra money, tickets are still on sale at the Aronoff Center's website On our night, there were still a lot of good seats available.

The show runs through Easter Sunday, including matinees for all Saturdays and Sundays until the end. We'll be back to usher on Saturday the seventh and I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment