Tuesday, October 23, 2012

"Beware of Christians"


This post title probably caught you by surprise...but this documentary may or may not. It popped up on our Netflix screen a few weeks ago and I was intrigued by the premise of four college students travelling to Europe to discover what Christianity looks like outside the context of American culture. You may even be able to see the review word in bold at the top of the photo that says "KNOCKOUT". I guess for some, maybe it is.

While I would still highly encourage everyone to watch this, I don't think this film provided any earth-shattering information that I didn't already know. They're simply four young men who are, quite frankly, dismayed and exhausted by what the American church has become. I guess I hit that mark about 10 years ago so there was nothing new and insightful for me. But...as Dale and I discussed after the movie...it was highly encouraging to see four young guys with their whole lives before them grappling with what it means to follow Jesus...not the Americanized version of the Christian religion. Truly...it gave me hope.

Overall, the movie is filled with funny moments, tender moments and obviously eye-opening ones for these kids as well. I've said it before and I will say it many more times before I shuffle off into the sunset...everyone that has ever been raised in the church, should question absolutely everything about religion and faith that have become a part of who they are. The only parameters I'll place on that belief is that you take those questions directly to God, with the help of His Holy Spirit and utilizing His Word (the Bible) as the best research tool there is.

Go ahead...He delights in the questions! At least while you're questioning you have to be engaged in relationship with Him (what I refer to as "The Dance"). The point of this movie is that sadly for thousands of American Christians...that relationship is exactly what is missing.

Mentioned in this post:

No comments:

Post a Comment