Thursday, October 18, 2012

Deja vu

In July 2010, I was working through the book of James in the Bible because I felt compelled to do it. "Compelled" may not even be a strong enough word. God's Spirit was leading me to do it and I knew I just had to. I used the inductive study method I learned earlier that year in a Kay Arthur study of Jude I'd attended at a local church. Inductive study analyzes individual words, cross references to other scriptures and sometimes even leads you back to the original Hebrew (in the Old Testament) or Greek (in the New Testament) to better understand the meaning that is sometimes "lost" or maybe just muddled in translation.

As I went through James verse by verse, God's Spirit used those words to alter the course of my life forever.  So many times, I wept, laughed, pondered, reflected and simply poured over what He was doing in me and through me. This blog was started, in part, because I was learning so much that I just had to share what God was teaching me.

When I found out this past spring that our new church would be hosting the Beth Moore, James: Mercy Triumphs Bible study later in the year, I could not contain my excitement. Now, to be involved in it and going through it with my oldest daughter, I can report that I have not been disappointed.

Week after week I have completed the homework and been left teary at remembering how far God has brought me and how much further I have to go. Each Beth Moore session has had multiple lessons for me to take away and "chew on". Today, I was teary and almost wanted to cry out, "God help us!" when she talked briefly about James 2:15-16. James is not a book for the faint of heart. He is not for the nominal Christian. He is not for the one who cries, "Lord, Lord" and then walks right by the one in need. (See Matthew 25:31-46) And there are a lot of us that struggle with James...I mean deeply struggle.

One thing I've learned in this study is that even Martin Luther (the 16th century German theologian that was instrumental in starting the Reformation) wrestled extensively with James. His background in the hypocritical and taking-advantage-of-the-Purgatory-scared-poor Catholic church of his day, left him with great turmoil over James' discussion of faith versus works. (see James 2:14-26)

But in the paraphrased words of Beth Moore, 'You may not like James, but no New Testament author more closely echoes the words of Christ than his younger half-brother, James.'

Echoes the words of Christ? Then I definitely need to pay attention, right?

And that's what I've tried to do. I've tried to read these words as if for the first time...problem is...I am so grateful for the words of James...that even now as I type...I am teary at how much God's grace and His Spirit have changed me since I last studied this book. My life looks and feels completely different and yet, I know there is still so much more to do...not because I have to...but because my Abba loves me so much that I want to!


Postscript: Just how much God used this tiny book of the Bible in my life is evidenced in the titles of the blog posts that came out of that study two plus years ago: James is Kicking My Butt!More Boot Camp With JamesMore James...Ouch!Waitin' on the World to ChangeFriend v. EnemyWell, I Did It; and Community Life According to James If you take the time to read these, I just ask that you bear in mind I'm a work in progress and so are you. Praise God...He never gives up calling us to a deeper walk with Him. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment