Sunday, July 18, 2010

James is kicking my butt!!

Recently went through a study of Philippians & found GREAT encouragement. It was EXACTLY what I needed. I was so thirsty that I found myself trying to work my ENTIRE day around finding more time to spend with the Holy Spirit.

But as Dale & I started to talk about our conviction to help single moms and their children, I felt myself being drawn to James. I'm sure I've read it before, but I've NEVER read it like this! Part of our life-altering experience came about by reading Forgotten God by Francis Chan. If you haven't read it, I can NOT recommend it more highly than this: The Holy Spirit used it as a catalyst to 'open my eyes to God's heart'. (to paraphrase an overdone worship song!)

Awakening to the transforming power of the Holy Spirit living IN me has been like NOTHING I have EVER experienced. Sure, there have been seasons of knowing He was near...but I had NEVER considered that "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us...so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith." (Galatians 3:13-14)

He died...SO THAT the Holy Spirit could live in me!

I have taken this for granted, far TOO long.

So that's the background of the beginning of this transformation in me! Now as we were feeling led to help single moms, the Holy Spirit drew me to James. In my first reading, here's what I found:

"Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world." (James 1:27)

You'll see this in one of my text boxes on this page. It is what I believe is now a mission statement for my life. But in digging into the 2nd chapter today, I found this:
"For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment" (James 2:13)

There is a cross-reference for this verse in Proverbs 21:13:

"He who shuts his ear to the cry of the poor
Will also cry himself and not be answered."

I could NOT have wept harder. Do you see the path onto which the Holy Spirit is leading us? My eyes & heart have been shut too long. There's some more books I'm trying to get my hands on: Radical by David Platt and The Biblical Vision of Sabbath Economics by Ched Myers both of these mentioned in the June 2010 issue of Christianity Today. Both talking about helping the poor.

To top this all off, just within the last 3 days I've been thinking that Holy Spirit is drawing us to help single moms & their children, BUT these women are STILL more wealthy than 90% or more of the world's population. I also know that one of the BEST ways to experience the heart of God is through giving. I'd like to give single moms of Northern KY a chance to give back. Holy Spirit is already laying ideas & plans on my heart. BUT as I prayed for an organization that would be reputable & handle any donations well, Samaritan's Purse came to mind. I went on their website and the heading for their July newsletter said this "CARING FOR ORPHANS AND WIDOWS".

Now, if given the same circumstances, what would you do? Does He have to spell it out for me in any clearer language? How can I turn back now? I'm dreaming of a partnership between single moms & their children of Northern KY and an organization ALREADY in place that is ALREADY helping widows and orphans around the world. And Paul wrote that "(He) is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us." (Ephesians 3:20)

The title for this blog came about because I've just been reading Donald Miller's A Million Miles in a Thousand Years and it's ALL about writing a better story for our lives. I've been leading our children down a VERY boring story, one of seeking out our own comfort and pleasure...all the while, there's been a NAGGING in the back of my brain that something just isn't right!

I guess I kept thinking when my kids were grown I could "do something BIG for Jesus". But I NOW believe the best thing I can do for our kids is let the Holy Spirit re-write our story...a MORE exciting one...one of love, compassion, nurturing others, giving so they have the strength to give back and doing ALL of this only by the power and strength of the Holy Spirit.

I'm overwhelmed at the thought of the JOY this will bring to our lives. I have to confess, I'm a little scared too. The human in me can't possibly see how the Holy Spirit is going to connect all the dots. BUT, He's the One that put the dots in place...I think I can trust Him to get us to the next connection!

Come back from time to time and see what He's doing!

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment