Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Lesson for Us All


Even on the days that I don't take the time for the daily liturgy of Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals, I like to read the references to our Church ancestors. It is deeply comforting to me to know that this Journey is so much bigger than me. Because I have been spending some time on my new Beth Moore study and have also been highly distracted, I had to do some catching up today.

Here is what I read from the September 12th entry: "Tatian the Assyrian, a second-century theologian, wrote, "Die to the world by renouncing the madness of its stir and bustle. God created nothing evil. It is we who brought forth wickedness. Those who brought it about can also do away with it again.""

Second-century "stir and bustle" is something I can only dream of. Regardless of comparing the differences of an age long gone by, there is nothing new under the sun and humankind has always been guilty of the ease with which we are distracted.

How can I see where God is working and join with Him if I don't stop and look up long enough to acknowledge Him? Liturgy and Bible study are just two of the many ways I can centre my day around Him instead of me. I am being challenged to go much deeper with Him and have been running away from the challenge.

In the wise words of Rafiki, the baboon from Disney's The Lion King, "It is time."

I extend the challenge to you as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment