Saturday, September 21, 2013

I Know Hope


In an ongoing effort to spend the money God has given us in the way He would want us to spend it, I am constantly on the lookout for companies or ministries that are 
  • environmentally friendly
  • practice Fair Trade with their growers, farmers, craftsmen, laborers, etc.
  • are not abusing, enslaving or traffiking anyone...or turning a blind eye to such practices
  • work toward helping communities and individuals instead of padding the pockets of a few CEOs of multinational corporations
I still have a long way to go, but God is empowering me to one purchase at a time, stop the hopeless, helpless feeling that "I am only one person, so what can I do?" For me, that has become a cop-out that I can no longer excuse. Yes, it means research, diligence, delayed gratification and persistence but it also means my life and spending directly contribute to the well-being of others. I think that's a life Jesus would say is well-lived. Shouldn't that be my goal?

Which brings me to my latest purchase. A purse. I've been looking for one for about three to four months. I could find nothing on Stop Traffick Fashion's website that would fit my needs and budget, but they are usually my go-to place for this sort of thing. I've been babying the free Thirty-One purse that I won a few years ago because the zipper pull kept breaking. Then yesterday, the kids and I served at session for the Hands Against Hunger Million Meal Pack and I had time to peruse their small shop in the factory. I was beyond thrilled to find a messenger style bag (my favorite), upcycled from a used coffee burlap sack, that supports a ministry that is "Meeting the needs of the orphan, the hungry, and the hopeless by providing food, shelter, and other humanitarian efforts both locally and abroad."

Can't beat that, can you?

Sure I paid probably about $10 more than I typically would for a bag like this, but I consider that an investment in someone else's future. I Know Hope has several vendor locations in the Cincinnati area, but you can also order directly from them online. Oh, and by the way...the bag is exactly what I've been looking for and amazing quality too!

I have a friend that tomorrow is also hosting an open house for Redeeming Gifts brothel ministry. 


I am certain that I will spend money that some would say I should save for a "rainy day". But if I can get a jump start on some Christmas shopping and help a woman who currently can only support herself by selling her body for a dollar or two...why would I not do it! 

The point of all of this is not to strive for perfection...but improvement. 



See also, related post A Good Steward


No comments:

Post a Comment