Friday, September 6, 2013

El Mariachi, Hebron, Kentucky (A Tale of Three Restaurants)

Our daughter, Rebekah, and I were heading out to Florida on her birthday (see post here), so the night before we left, the whole family went to a restaurant of her choosing. El Mariachi was an obvious choice for our Mexican food-loving girl.

As we were dining, I realized I'd eaten at three different locally owned Mexican restaurants in the previous month and had neglected to review them. I guess I just sort of take them for granted. But, I shouldn't. They are not all the same, although their similarities may sometimes prevent me from thinking there are any stand outs.

El Mariachi is the closest Mexican restaurant to us and yet, we have often chosen to drive to others much further away. I'm uncertain why. I think one reason was that only within the last year have they disallowed smoking. Yes, this is Kentucky! And although smoking was limited to the bar, it pervaded the whole store. Well, not anymore.

One other reason for not going there as often has been the expense. It costs Dale and I at least $20 to eat there, but I usually have leftover beans or rice for someone else to enjoy. At that rate of expense though, it would cost our family over $60 for a meal...which is just ridiculous. But...I have two kids that order nachos no matter what Mexican restaurant we go to and at El Mariachi, from 3-7 p.m. all appetizers are half off...including nachos.

So the rundown for our family was this: chicken nachos, bean nachos and a large queso bowl (all half price), a kid's meal of chicken fingers and rice (including drink), Dale's Santa Fe burrito, and Abbey and I shared veggie fajitas with rice (and didn't finish it all), two drinks and tip for $45. I know, still quite a bit of money, but much cheaper than any other birthday dinners we've had in the last year. In fact, when I post the reviews of the other two Mexican restaurants, I think you'll appreciate the cost difference.

I should add quickly that all of the food was delicious too. Sometimes veggie fajitas are covered in corn oil at other restaurants, but not here. I have only two "complaints" and both are more than tolerable...our server was a bit overwhelmed and didn't seem to have a lot of assistance delivering food, with refills, etc. Other visits have been better. And when I ask for water, as I should...in an attempt to avoid pop, it is tap...and not tasty tap either. I've noticed a similar taste in their pop in the past, so I am assuming they do not use a filter. This is easily remedied by bringing my own water from home.

Overall, I have to rate this my favorite locally owned Mexican restaurant in Northern Kentucky right now. I do still love Abuelos (but cost-prohibitive for our family and not locally owned) and On the Border will always be our family favorite, but there are none currently in the Tri-State area.

Next time you're in the mood for a little more authentic Mexican food (Americanized as they all are) come up to Hebron and try El Mariachi. I think you'll like it.





**Two more Mexican restaurant reviews to follow soon**

No comments:

Post a Comment