Saturday, September 28, 2013

Valley Orchards, Hebron, Kentucky


Rebekah and I were heading out to McGlasson Farms to buy pumpkins earlier today and when we got to the end of Tanner Road, where it meets River Road, I saw signs pointing the way to another Farm Market we've only visited once. I thought I'd give it a try because McGlassons has gotten very expensive in the short span of years since we've lived here. They have a "corner on the market" so to speak. But Valley Orchards has now won me over. 

Their market season doesn't last as long as McGlasson's (or any other local farmer's markets) and that is one reason why I've not often thought to visit. In fact, we pass Valley Orchards every time we drive to Giles Conrad Park and we've often wondered if it is still in use. Abbey and I had some delicious apple fritters there about three years ago but I've never seen it open since. Apparently, we just haven't been driving by at the right time because right now, Valley Orchards has all of the pumpkins, mums, apple fritters and apples you could want. It's actually a little early in the apple season for them, but the owner Marcia Hempfling assured me that there are more to come and that the pumpkins have been quite prolific this year.

You can follow them on their Facebook Page to get updates about when the apples arrive. Prices will vary with demand, but here's what we paid today:
  • $4 for 1/2 peck (about 1 gallon or four quarts) of small but beautiful Jonathan apples
  • $15 for a 1/2 bushel  (about 4 gallons) of good looking Golden Delicious
  • $3 for 1/2 peck of not-so-pretty pears...but who cares what they look like when I turn them into pear butter! They weren't bad or have any soft spots, they're just not the wax-polished kind you find in the store.
  • $1 for three very yummy large donut-hole sized apple fritters made fresh
  • $5 each for two pumpkins that would be considered "large" in a grocery store. She said they had bigger ones for $8 or $10. I saw some out in the pumpkin patch that looked like I wouldn't be able to carry them.
Valley Orchards accepts cash or check and Marcia said she will give people discounts for larger quantities. For instance, the Golden Delicious were $5 for 1/2 peck. She placed about 4 1/2 of these bags in my $15 1/2 bushel bag. She also estimated (because prices could vary) that a bushel would be about $25!!

Yes...I will be back! Looks like I get to make applesauce this year.

They still have Winesaps, Jonagolds, Honeycrisps and one more variety I couldn't recall to come in over the next few weeks. Check them out, buy local and support the growers you can actually talk to!

Valley Orchards is located at 7029 River Road, Hebron, KY, 41048. They are open weekends 11 a.m.- 6 p.m. On weekdays, you can call them at 859-689-9511 first to make sure they're not out in the field (I just love buying from someone who actually works in the field where the food is grown!).


No comments:

Post a Comment