Friday, October 4, 2013

Fashioning Crosses


I did some reading on a few days I had skipped in my Common Prayer book because I've been so involved in the Believing God study I'm doing. I came across this in September 30th's entry:

"Lord, keep us from making crosses out of the splinters of discomfort in our lives. Help us recognize the true crosses you call us to bear, those whose weight lends to the freedom and provision of others. Amen."

Yes, my "crosses" are pretty puny compared to what so many others have to endure. I remember reading an interview with Francis Chan after he spent time with Jesus followers in China. The people just naturally assumed that we in the West endured persecution just like they do. After all, if you only had a Bible to learn what Christianity looked like, and you lived on a deserted island (another Chan point from one of his books), what would you think the Church would look like? Are we really so deceived as to believe it would look like our version in the U.S.?

The Chinese Christians actually laughed at the suggestion that we over here leave churches because of programs, music or people we don't like. Very telling indeed.

So this small quote today hit me just where I needed it to. Yes, I need community and it needs to be with others that are seeking Him first, foremost and sacrificially...but...the little splinters of discomfort like style of worship, dynamic vs. bland preaching, Lifegroup vs. small group vs. Sunday school class...honestly, just don't matter. The cross that I should be picking up is the one that provides and frees. That's what Jesus did...and so should I.

No comments:

Post a Comment