Monday, October 21, 2013

Edwardo's Pizza and Subs- Hebron, Kentucky

I have hesitated to write this review...solely because I have had a strong desire to promote local businesses positively. And, admittedly, in the past, I have had positive experiences at Edwardo's. Last Friday night, was not one such experience.

We arrived at a normal time for dinner around 6:30 p.m. When my husband walked in, one server sounded perturbed and blurted out, "I was about to go home!" He apologized (for inconveniencing her I suppose) and she replied, "Oh, no...you're okay." [Pshew! I was afraid we'd done something wrong by expecting to be welcomed into a pizzeria at dinnertime on a Friday night.] Okay...I'll attempt to leave out the sarcasm from this point forward.

The server who did take our orders asked if we were ready...as she walked by our table about 20 feet to the next one. I said I had a question as she walked by and she yelled...from the other table..."Go ahead!" I (not wanting to also yell across the restaurant) waited for her to return to our table. You see, I have this thing about eating out being different from eating at home. One reason I love to eat out so much is because not only do I not have to prepare or clean up after the food, we just all act differently. Yelling from room to room?...I can do that at home.

She arrived back at our table with a disgruntled, "Go ahead...I can multi-task!...I have to."

Now...at this point...if I'd had my wits about me and known of Dale's greeting from the previous server (I wasn't in the building when it happened). I would have said something like, "You know what...it seems you are all a bit overwhelmed tonight...even though there is only us and your table of eight back there...so how about we just pay for our drinks we haven't drank yet and we'll get out of your hair?" My kids would have been mortified...but we would have saved $40 on a meal that honestly just wasn't that good.

We were minus one child and Dale plus the other three each ordered individual pizzas for $5 each. Sure, they were able to have the toppings they liked, but the crust, in Abbey's words, "tasted like pizza buffet crust". Honestly, I tasted her's and I have better memories of Chey Boyardee box mix. Dale's taco pizza was taco meat and cheese...no lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream or anything like other places have served on their versions.

I ordered the house salad for $5.49. Granted, this was not an $8-10 salad like you may order at a finer establishment, but, in my large bowl was about 1/4 cup wilted iceberg lettuce with about a heaping cup of toppings...most of which was bacon. I have had this salad at a previous visit and was looking forward to eating it again. It's precisely why I suggested this restaurant. You live and learn I guess. Given the mood of our server...who told me she was the one to prepare my salad...and that three more tables of patrons had arrived...I didn't complain for fear of upsetting the delicate balance of her equilibrium. She was not pleasant at anytime during our visit and actually bordered on being rude. My husband still tipped his usual 20%, because that's just who he is and from our demeanor, she may have thought we had a wonderful meal.

I did hesitate to review this restaurant because we have had better experiences there and I just don't want to cause harm in any way to someone that's trying to make an honest living. But as Abbey and I ate at a different establishment last night, had a wonderful meal and compared it to the cost of Edwardo's, she so wisely said, 'But sometimes you have to warn people not to waste their money.' So while I write this with a degree of heaviness for the criticism and negativity it contains, I will add that I am hopeful it was just a bad night and that others have enjoyed much better dining at all of the Northern Kentucky Edwardo's locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment