Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Living the Quaker Way (A Book Review)




I grew up in the same hometown as author Philip Gulley and have greatly enjoyed his  Porch Talk essays and Harmony series. But due to his perceived controversial nature among many in the evangelical Protestant circles with which I rub elbows, I have intentionally avoided his theological books. At a time when myself and many others I know personally or follow online are being challenged to live more purposefully aware of our consumption, our global impact and aiding those who are overlooked and marginalized by mainstream society, I cannot in good conscience completely ignore a book that calls us back to a life of

  • Simplicity
  • Peace
  • Integrity
  • Community, and
  • Equality
SPICE...the very ideals the Quakers have been putting into practice for centuries have now become trendy again, at least in theory. What I love about Gulley's folksy wisdom is it's practicality and yes, simplicity. When so many are fed up with the unlimited consumption of our culture, while millions starve, Gulley's reminder that enough is well...enough, is a minimalist's breath of fresh air.

I am fully aware that most Christians I know would find at least one issue to disagree with Gulley over and I confess I do not concur with every theological point that he makes. But as he states up front, he is not attempting to convert people to his faith. Rather, I believe he's calling us to a reminder of how God created us to live...simply, peacefully, honestly and equally together.

What I deeply respected after finishing Living the Quaker Way, is that although I do not agree with everything Gulley believes, I know he is one of the few Christians that would be okay with that. I am confident he would be fully attentive and respectful of my perspective and I would come away from a conversation knowing I had been heard and not belligerently attacked for having disagreed. Unfortunately, I remember that Gulley has not always received the same respect.

Many of the "hot button issues" over which Gulley's liberal faith would draw evangelical ire, I think can be best summed up by his declaration that "Any religion that does not have a kind and hopeful word for the world's oppressed or creates by virtue of its principles an underclass is not a religion worth our dedication or obedience. As for me, I want no part of a god or religion that exalts some and vilifies others." Call it Quakerism, folksy wisdom or whatever you want, standing up for the oppressed and the underclass is exactly the life that Jesus led...as should we all.

No comments:

Post a Comment